• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

I want the team to do well and not overpay for one single player.

This fan base, somehow, thinks their pecker gets bigger just because their favorite player makes more than other players.

Then, the same apologists go back and opine about the lack of affordable talent around their favorite player.  Vicious circle.

I hope everyone DG signs is at a "deal" for the team.  Period.

• Pie 1

Cam and Luke could take up 33% of our cap and we would be fine

I'm not so sure I buy that.

The teams that have followed the formula of 'pay a few guys big and skimp everywhere else' have yet to see any Super Bowl victories. And this includes the teams that switched to that model after having won one.

I agree with Cam and Luke getting paid fair contracts, but if we're going to tie huge amounts of cap into just a few guys, what are we doing any differently than Marty Hurney?

• Pie 1

There is some truth to this. However, Gettleman seems very stuck in his ways and I could see him going low with an initial offer. As I interpreted that story, that could fug this team from the very beginning. I hope he's not that stupid.

My opinion is Gettlemen is getting paid to put together championship teams not saving JR a few bucks despite his actions in the past. He needs to get this contract done to see what money he will have to spend in other places. I think the question is does Gettlemen view him as opposed to Cam's agent. In the NFL the franchise QB seems to have the upper hand,

MJ being the greatest is not a FACT. To suggest he's the best "by a huge margin" like that fella suggested, or that him being the best is a fact, is absolutely absurd. I grew up watching the doctor, the stilt, kareem, russell, elgin baylor, etc. all play way before MJ, and I would accept arguments of any of those guys being better, though I myself would probably go with MJ-but only slightly. Nothing is fact when it comes to comparing greats. Everybody who grew up watching Jordan and none of the guys before him, think like you. Same with all the young fellas nowadays who think LeBron is "by a huge margin" the greatest ever, except with LeBron instead of Jordan. It's a generational thing that fugs up your thinking, and an arrogance that makes you so certain you're right. Have fun thinking that way sir.

Good points.... but seriously Jordan being the best ever is accepted fact

Edited by teeray

MJ being the greatest is not a FACT. To suggest he's the best "by a huge margin" like that fella suggested, or that him being the best is a fact, is absolutely absurd. I grew up watching the doctor, the stilt, kareem, russell, elgin baylor, etc. all play way before MJ, and I would accept arguments of any of those guys being better, though I myself would probably go with MJ-but only slightly. Nothing is fact when it comes to comparing greats. Everybody who grew up watching Jordan and none of the guys before him, think like you. Same with all the young fellas nowadays who think LeBron is "by a huge margin" the greatest ever, except with LeBron instead of Jordan. It's a generational thing that fugs up your thinking, and an arrogance that makes you so certain you're right. Have fun thinking that way sir.

He said "during that time" Jordan was the best by a huge margin.  As in, during the time he was playing and in his prime, and guys like Dr. J, Baylor, Kareem, and Russell were retired, and Bird and Magic were on the decline or retiring themselves.

Other than a few guys like Barkley, Malone, etc. (who still weren't all that close IMO, but each had their moments)  who would you even say was close to Jordan?  In Jordan's era he WAS the best by quite a damn good margin.  Even the other best players at that time were obviously a tier below MJ.  Hell, you could've made a case for him being MVP damn near every year, but voter's fatigue prohibited that.

Edited by RelaxImaPro

I'm not so sure I buy that.

The teams that have followed the formula of 'pay a few guys big and skimp everywhere else' have yet to see any Super Bowl victories. And this includes the teams that switched to that model after having won one.

I agree with Cam and Luke getting paid fair contracts, but if we're going to tie huge amounts of cap into just a few guys, what are we doing any differently than Marty Hurney?

My % is off, but point is: Draft well, keep your stars, fill in with bargins.

This is the winning formula.

We are on that track.

• Pie 1

The football fan always forgets the $$$.

This I a job for these guys. They have a handful of yrs to make as much as possible.

If I was Cam I'd tell Getts, I'd want to be the highest paid guy.

If I were Getts I'd push a Kapernick deal.

Then they debate.

Then a deal is signed.

This hand wringing aboUT something you all have zero control over is pointless.

Xoxo

Kurb

The football fan always forgets the $$$.

This I a job for these guys. They have a handful of yrs to make as much as possible.

If I was Cam I'd tell Getts, I'd want to be the highest paid guy.

If I were Getts I'd push a Kapernick deal.

Then they debate.

Then a deal is signed.

This hand wringing aboUT something you all have zero control over is pointless.

Xoxo

Kurb

I very much like this new Zen Kurb. He has mellowed over the years.

My % is off, but point is: Draft well, keep your stars, fill in with bargins.

This is the winning formula.

We are on that track.

I agree with the formula. I just want more than two 'stars'.

I want a star left tackle and a solid pass rusher (plus at least decent players along both sides of the line), a receiver teams have to respect, at least one decent cover corner, a reliable tight end, a running back who can get the tough yards., a hard hitting safety, and maybe a few other things if I think about it longer.

Yeah, that's asking a lot, but it has been done, and by more than one team.