• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

Check their record vs winning teams.

They get to the playoffs largely because they play in an awful division. After getting there they tend to get destroyed. Not just beaten. Blown away.

As to what they plan to offer him, I feel comfortable saying the guy who thought Trent Richardson was worth trading a first round pick for is not a guy I'm comfortable with setting contract values.

You can't possibly argue the Panthers don't play in the worst division in football.

In their 3 Playoff appearances in 3 years the Colts have beaten the Bengals, Chiefs and Broncos for a 3-3 Playoff record.

2 of their 3 Playoff losses have come at the hands of the eventual Super Bowl winner, the Ravens and Patriots.

Have anything else?

I tend to think Cam and his agent are going to weigh several variables, including what endorsement deals Cam may receive. They could push for a $25 mil a yeah deal from the Panthers which could limit the ability of the team to sign better players to build a winning team, thus keeping him out of serious playoff contention on a regular basis. Or, they may consider a deal in the 18-19 mil a year range that would allow the Panthers to surround him with better talent and put him in the playoffs annually. Then add in the endorsements from being a big time NFL QB and he could stand to make more by taking less. I'm sure both Cam and his agent as well as Gettleman are weighing all the options, and will find the best financial answer for both sides.

You can't possibly argue the Panthers don't play in the worst division in football.

In their 3 Playoff appearances in 3 years the Colts have beaten the Bengals, Chiefs and Broncos for a 3-3 Playoff record.

2 of their 3 Playoff losses have come at the hands of the eventual Super Bowl winner, the Ravens and Patriots.

Have anything else?

lol...  one season our division was the worst in the nfl.

Colts division rivals vs Panthers' division rivals.

The three other teams in the Colts division have collectively won 47 games over the last three years.

The 3 teams for the Panthers' division have collectively won 61 games in the same three year period.

Edited by Pox 08
  • Pie 1

lol...  one season our division was the worst in the nfl.

Colts division rivals vs Panthers' division rivals.

The three other teams in the Colts division have collectively won 47 games over the last three years.

The 3 teams for the Panthers' division have collectively won 61 games in the same three year period.

Don't know what to tell you, Luck's 1st year the Texans went 12-4, last year they were 9-7, the worst 2nd place record the last 3 years was 7-9. 

There is some truth to this. However, Gettleman seems very stuck in his ways and I could see him going low with an initial offer. As I interpreted that story, that could fug this team from the very beginning. I hope he's not that stupid.

There is nothing in Gettleman's history to indicate he won't happily pay a player in his prime his fair market value.

Tedd Ginn, Brandon LaFell, Mike Mitchell and even the venerable Steve Smith were all meh players he let go.

One could argue that in Gettleman's brief body of work the only player that he has faced with needing to pay that was elite and in his prime was Greg Hardy, and Gettleman paid him while having extremely limited funds.

Gettleman will pay Cam what he is worth without crippling the franchise. Cam will be here another 5 years minimum (unless he sucks and gets cut), and that's all there is to it.

• Pie 2

Have anything else?

The NFC South wasn't an awful division until this past season.

As to the other teams mentioned, the Bengals are even bigger payoff pretenders than the Colts. Likewise, the Chiefs team they beat was the one that started out looking great and ended the season looking like crap. And the Broncos? We already know what was going on there.

Seriously, outside of Luck and T Y Hilton, the Colts have hardly anyone that scares opposing teams.

The NFC South wasn't an awful division until this past season.

As to the other teams mentioned, the Bengals are even bigger payoff pretenders than the Colts. Likewise, the Chiefs team they beat was the one that started out looking great and ended the season looking like crap. And the Broncos? We already know what was going on there.

Seriously, outside of Luck and T Y Hilton, the Colts have hardly anyone that scares opposing teams.

Spin all you want, it's all scoreboard.

Luck and the Colts 3 Playoff wins in 3 years.

Panthers one win against the QB-less Cards in 4 years.

I'll wait and see if the Colts sign Luck to a 32-40 million dollar per year contract as you suggest.

Don't know what to tell you, Luck's 1st year the Texans went 12-4, last year they were 9-7, the worst 2nd place record the last 3 years was 7-9.

I'm guessing because of the Jags.

Three year span.

Panthers have won 26 games.

Saints have won 25 games

Falcons have won 23 games

Bucs have won 13 games

Colts have won 33 games.

Texans have won 23 games

Titans have won  15 games

Jags have won 9 games.

Also.......I would love it if our division housed rival qbs similar to the ones the Jags, Titans and Texans field.   With the Jags and Texans,  I'm just like - "Who cares?" When thinking of their qb situations over the last few years.

I'm not taking away from Luck or the Colts,  just sportin' a little division pride when doing a 3 year span.

Edited by Pox 08
  • Pie 3

Hopefully Cam understands the Michael Jordan philosophy, take less money to have great players around you.

Putting together a winning rooster under the salary cap is the GM's job.

Michael Jordan was getting a bizillion dollars from Nike.  They aint giving out that type of money anymore.  Also on the back end he started getting those 33 mill per year contracts and they still won.  The common denominator is Michael Jordan was the best player on the planet by a huge margin.

People need to quit equating taking less money with winning.

Cam could take a 5 dollar contract and we could still draft, and add via FA bad players who don't work.  The only result is Cam would be poorer for it.

Have anything else?

I can't wait to play the AFC South this year. They are terrible. The only reason you can't say they are a worse division than ours is because of the Colts.

When you consider the fact that the second best QB in that division is Fitzpatrick you have to realize how terrible a division it is.

There was one week where the entire division outside of the Colts had 3 points cumulative through 3 quarters in their respective games.

NFCS has average teams across the board and a terrible Tampa team. But 3 of our 4 teams would be second best team in AFC South.

And before anyone goes there, the Texans do indeed suck.

Edited by teeray
  • Pie 2

Putting together a winning rooster under the salary cap is the GM's job.

Michael Jordan was getting a bizillion dollars from Nike.  They aint giving out that type of money anymore.  Also on the back end he started getting those 33 mill per year contracts and they still won.  The common denominator is Michael Jordan was the best player on the planet by a huge margin.

People need to quit equating taking less money with winning.

Cam could take a 5 dollar contract and we could still draft, and add via FA bad players who don't work.  The only result is Cam would be poorer for it.

Well recently Tim Duncan and Tom Brady would disagree.