• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers and Cam Newton in contract talks

bLACKpANTHER

Love of the game ain't gonna cure CTE and dementia. At least with money you can set your family up for life when you die at 55 years old.

They make enough money plus some for their families. I'm only talking about the super star football players with big time contracts. They know what they sign up for and they know the repercussions just like any other job anyone sign up for. I feel sorry for the people out here with problems that don't have a chance to make that kind of money to even get help. Like our veterans for example.

The thing about that though is one could take a contract for 10 years, $100 Million with $40M guaranteed up front. Set for life. Plus endorsements. It's not like you need every single penny you can get. $5M and you'd be set for life. $40M and you could have a dozen kids and all them and their kids and their grandkids could be set for life. If they're taught how to save money and not needlessly spend it. It's one thing if you want to have an extravagant lifestyle like Floyd "Money" Mayweather or Johnny Manziel, but if you're smart and low key (which Cam seems to be) then there's no reason you NEED an extra $50M or whatever. Not saying I wouldn't take as much as I can get but if one really really wanted to win, it would not hurt your financial situation by taking less than you're worth.

You're right, until you begin to think well the extra 2million I'd get if I went for 42 in guaranteed money could be the money I could use to spoil myself by copping that bugatti...

The thing about that though is one could take a contract for 10 years, $100 Million with $40M guaranteed up front. Set for life. Plus endorsements. It's not like you need every single penny you can get. $5M and you'd be set for life. $40M and you could have a dozen kids and all them and their kids and their grandkids could be set for life. If they're taught how to save money and not needlessly spend it. It's one thing if you want to have an extravagant lifestyle like Floyd "Money" Mayweather or Johnny Manziel, but if you're smart and low key (which Cam seems to be) then there's no reason you NEED an extra $50M or whatever. Not saying I wouldn't take as much as I can get but if one really really wanted to win, it would not hurt your financial situation by taking less than you're worth.

^this

That's different because their not other ways to make a profit from a regular job. Cam can get endorsements just like Jordan, which could be a larger profit then a NFL contract.

Also, my job doesn't hand out Super Bowl Production Rings......no Hall of Fame....Pro Bowl......they really don't reward you in any way like his job.....

You're right, until you begin to think well the extra 2million I'd get if I went for 42 in guaranteed money could be the money I could use to spoil myself by copping that bugatti...

I have no problem giving him an extra $2 million if it's for a tank so he doesn't get into another potentially fatal car accident

So basically... Cam wants to be the highest paid player in the league.  Because Luck is definitely going to be the highest paid player once he inks his deal.

There's still  a year left on Luck and Wilson's deals though.  They might not get done until the next offseason.

Jeeze.  So Cam wants to potentially play out his 5th year option, where we're either forced to franchise him next season or have a team like the Raiders throw a billion dollar contract at him.  Meh.

When you gotta pay Uncle Sam about 45-50% of that, I want as much as I can get.

Link poster is broken, but I remember that rant from The Replacements

"I gotta pay 5% to my agent, 3% to my publicist, I got child support, and do you know how much insurance costs on a Ferrarri mothafugger?!"

• Pie 1