• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So how do we restructure/extend Charles Johnson?

thunderraiden

Look at it this way - Charles Johnson in 2013 had 8.5 sacks in 9 games before the New England game. He was leg-whipped and missed two games, and only had 2.5 sacks in the next six he played in (including playoffs). We made up for it because Hardy was excellent over that stretch.

This season, CJ was clearly still impacted by that leg-whip - he had no sacks in the first four games of this season. Additionally, he had to deal with increased pressure from lines due to Hardy being out. Despite this, over the last 14 games (including playoffs), he had 10.5 sacks. Those are good numbers for a 4-3 pass rusher, especially given his injury and the increased attention from offensive lines.

In 2015, we can (and should) expect better. But the myth of a 'down season' simply isn't real.

And the apparently-not-so-common-common-sense-award goes to...

I think people are just so butthurt over Hurney that they completely oppose the idea of paying players good money now. That's really the only reason I can see why people are seriously discussing cutting Greg Olsen, Charles Johnson, and Cam Newton. It's completely delusional.

I think people are just so butthurt over Hurney that they completely oppose the idea of paying players good money now. That's really the only reason I can see why people are seriously discussing cutting Greg Olsen, Charles Johnson, and Cam Newton. It's completely delusional.

Charles Johnson has never been an overwhelming DE in the 20 sack JJ Watt sense. But even with his injuries and slow starts he has been a pretty solid presence on our D line for a long time. He goes after the QB like a boss but still performs decently against the run.

People lose sight of things and think 16 sacks a year is somehow the norm when in reality if you have a DE steadily around the 10 sack mark he is certainly helping. Maybe not killing the world, but doing his job well I think.

Gettleman LOVES defensive lineman. Outside of Charles Johnson right now we have a bunch of jags. Chuck J isn't going anywhere. He will be extended to a mutually beneficial deal and there will be much rejoicing.

Like when they ate Sir Robin's Minstrels.

I wouldn't call Star & KK jags. If you were referring to DE, then I see your point, although Ealy has promise.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, here's my suggestion. Seeing as how we are not cap strapped this year, I say keep his salary where it is. Then next year, we can extend him where his salary won't be nearly as large. We already have his contract accounted for. No need to mess with it this year.

If we wait a year, it may be easier to move money around. Offer him a 2 year 15mil extension. Cuts his yearly salary to 10mil, and helps with Cam's and Keek's contracts. Add in the fact that the TV money increases, it just may work out well for us.

Just a thought.

I agree. Unless something happens where they REALLY need some extra cap space, I bet they stand pat with CJ this season. If he has another solid year then maybe they talk extension next off season. If he has a poor year he might end up getting cut or signing a very team friendly extension.

This is why not signing Hardy back is dumb. We could pay hardy well and it still not cripple us like Johnson. As of right now DG has no negotiation chips either. You can't cut him but you can't pay him like he's getting paid.

First of all that calculator that you linked is a great tool for trying to figure out what options DG has with certain players.

With only two years left on his contract a simple restructure won't provide a huge amount of relief.  You are basically just switching the two years around.

Cap hit as is:  2015 - $20,020,000                                                  Basic restructure: 2015 - $15,580,000

2016 - $15,020,000                                                                               2016 - $19,460,000

By a "basic restructure" I'm referring to converting the majority of his 2015 salary into a signing bonus and spreading it out over the life of the contract.   As you can see, either way he is going to consume roughly $35,000,000 in cap space over the next two years, which would average close to $17,500,000 a year.

In order to get this number down anymore CJ would have to take a pay cut or we would have to add years to his contract.  To determine if this is feasible for either party we would have to look at some of the variables involved.

CJ's total cap hit for the next two years:  $35,000,000 <the number the team cares about

CJ's total salary for the next two years:  $21,000,000 <the number CJ should care about

CJ's Dead Money left: $14,000,000 <no matter what we do we will be responsible for this amount over the next few years

Pay cut:

For all practical purposes CJ has a $21m/2yr contract left with none of it guaranteed.  You have to remember all of his previous guaranteed money has already been paid to him so it really doesn't add anything to what he will earn over the next few years.

Would CJ be willing to take less over the next few years, say $16m for 2 years? I doubt it, I would think he could get close to $10m a year on the open market.

Extension:

For him to sign an extension he would have to feel like it was beneficial to him.  As I stated above his current salary is $21m for 2 years.  Would he consider $36m for 4 years if we guaranteed a decent amount of it?  I have no idea.

$36m for 4 years would be $9m per year but we would also have to account for his $14m in dead money.

$36m + $14m = $50m

$50m/4yrs = $12.5m per year cap hit

In reality the yearly cap hit probably wouldn't be the same each year.  Depending on the structure of the contract it could start out lower and go up.  Since bonuses can only be spread out over 5 years there is a limit on how much we could spread out some of his old dead money.  I really don't see a way we can get his 2015 cap hit much below $10m.

While an extension could possible lower his yearly cap cost there are drawbacks.  With any extension there will probably be some guaranteed money associated with it and therefore his dead cap would increase.  This makes it harder for the team to move on from the player if his production starts to decline as he ages.

For any extension the coaches and GM have to decide how productive the player can be in the future and for how long.

this is a really good post fyi

Archived