• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Colin Cole Re-Signed

NJPanthers12

Question:

Lets say we sign other DTs or draft one or two..  Could this be just an insurance signing. In other words, we go through training camp and we realize we have better players than Cole, could he be cut? Same with Dwan, we bring them both back. Is this an example of setting up the draft with FA?

BTW, quoting notifications are down for me. I get pie notifications, but one someone quotes me I only know about it when I re-read through the thread

I kind of think they respect him enough to not sign him now and then cut him in TC.

Question:

Lets say we sign other DTs or draft one or two..  Could this be just an insurance signing. In other words, we go through training camp and we realize we have better players than Cole, could he be cut? Same with Dwan, we bring them both back. Is this an example of setting up the draft with FA?

BTW, quoting notifications are down for me. I get pie notifications, but one someone quotes me I only know about it when I re-read through the thread

Same here no quote notifications, just pie.

And yes this is a perfect example of free agency setting up the draft. Now we have no pressure to draft another run stuffer and start reaching. Makes BPA easier to do.

IDK man, DG can be cold.

I think he will take the best 53.

Very true. This only means Cole will be at training camp. Getts could still draft his replacement if the board swung that way and the new guy was better than Colin in camp. After all, Cole is a back-up.

If Cole could be cut in/after camp, would you guys think he would be going balls to the wall, really pushing for that spot more than if he knows at this moment in time he will be on the team out of mutual respect?

I dont think DG plays that game..

"You need competition at every position" -DG

perfect signing.  we'll probably draft a dt to groom for the rotation in the mid to late rounds 

"The $1.05 million deal falls under the veteran benefit category, which means they get a salary cap break and he gets a chance to hang around another year."

Getty magic

... classified under an NFL rule known as the "veteran minimum salary benefit" that was written into the most recent collective bargaining agreement (CBA) as a way to help make veterans more affordable to teams. It uses a formula to reduce the cap hit of a player's base salary so long as the signing bonus remains under a certain level.

Gettlemagic indeed.

Archived