• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agent News

Mr. Scot

49ers Have “Cursory Interest” in DE Greg Hardy, Though No Front-Runner Has Emerged

The 49ers have expressed “cursory interest” in free agent DE Greg Hardy, but it’s likely that Hardy’s recruitment may “drag on“.

Part of the reason for the protracted process will be due to teams desire to gauge the public’s response towards Hardy, considering his recent legal troubles.

There is plenty of interest in Hardy, but that no front-runner for his services has emerged.

Packers Re-SignOT Bryan Bulaga

Packers will, in fact, be re-signing OT Bryan Bulaga.

Bulaga’s preference is to stay in Green Bay, but he would have to take less to do so.
Bulaga reportedly had interest from the Bills, Jaguars, Buccaneers, and Redskins.

Bulaga, 25, was one of the most sought after offensive tackles in this year’s free agent market. However, the Packers made him a priority and it appears as though he was hoping to remain in Green Bay, even though better deals probably existed elsewhere.

Pro Football Focus has Bulaga rated as the No. 16 offensive tackle out of 84 qualifying players this year.

Cardinals Expected To Sign OLB LaMarr Woodley

Cardinals are expected to sign veteran OLB LaMarr Woodley.

Woodley is another former Steeler to follow Bruce Arians in Arizona. The Cardinals obviously needed some help at outside linebacker, and this will allow him to go back to playing standing up as opposed to with his hand in the dirt.

Woodley, 30, was released last week Woodley in a move that freed up $5,187,500 in available cap space for the Raiders.

In 2014, Woodley recorded just five tackles over the course of six games. He year was cut short after he sustained a season-ending biceps injury.

Knew #Panthers wouldn't be active later today, but thought they may do something later this wk. Now not so sure. This may be it for a while.

If that's the case, I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed.  I knew we wouldn't be players for the elite FAs that will sign today, but I was hoping we'd be players in the second wave of FA and not wait until we were picking through the unwanted scrap heap.  I know that worked for us with Mike Mitchell and Ginn two years ago, but it backfired pretty badly on us last season.

Smart to jump on the "value" (or whatever code name were giving them this year) players early rather than waiting a week or two and trying to get them then because you think you're crafty.

Do that and you're competing with other teams and have to lower your standards even further to get the players nobody is talking to.

It's how you get a Cotchery when you wanted a Nicks, for example.

Gettleman met with Nicks and told him face to face that we weren't a fit. We didn't "want" Nicks at the conclusion of the meeting. I can accept that and not misplace intent. You imply we missed out by dragging feet. It didn't go down that way.

There is mutual interest in CB Antonio Cromartie‘s return to the Jets.

The Jets pursuit of CB Darrelle Revis will be a factor in the pursuit of Cromartie.
The Jets will have some competition however, The Cowboys like Cromartie as well, and they seem determined to land a cornerback after losing out on CB Davon House to the Jaguars.

Cromartie, 30, signed a one-year, $3.5 million contract that included $3.25 million in fully guaranteed with the Cardinals last year. He finished 2014 with three interceptions, 10 pass deflections, and 48 tackles.

Pro Football Focus rated Cromartie as the No. 45 overall cornerback out of 108 qualifiers last season.

If that's the case, I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed.  I knew we wouldn't be players for the elite FAs that will sign today, but I was hoping we'd be players in the second wave of FA and not wait until we were picking through the unwanted scrap heap.  I know that worked for us with Mike Mitchell and Ginn two years ago, but it backfired pretty badly on us last season.

yeah... what exactly is our target signing if they're doing the same thing they've done the last two seasons?

Browns Remain Interested In WR Cecil Shorts

Browns are still interested in free agent WR Cecil Shorts, even after reaching an agreement with WR Brian Hartline.

Shorts, 26, is entering the final year of his rookie contract and stands to make just $1,541,845 for the 2014 season. He has been the Jaguars most reliable receiver for the past few years and is clearly due for a raise.

Last season, Shorts caught 53 receptions for 557 yards receiving and one touchdowns.

Shorts, 26, is entering the final year of his rookie contract and stands to make just $739,383 for the 2014 season. He has been the Jaguars most reliable receiver for the past few years and is clearly due for a raise.

Last season, Shorts caught 66 receptions for 777 yards receiving and three touchdowns.

All of that info is a year old.

If that's the case, I'll admit that I'm a little disappointed. I knew we wouldn't be players for the elite FAs that will sign today, but I was hoping we'd be players in the second wave of FA and not wait until we were picking through the unwanted scrap heap. I know that worked for us with Mike Mitchell and Ginn two years ago, but it backfired pretty badly on us last season.

I agree wholeheartedly. Tired of sorting through the scraps.

Archived