• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Hoping To Sign Oher and Ginn Before Tuesday

rscott94

I don't get all the hate for Oher.  He had a rough go of it on the Titans because well, that team is pure straight garabge.  The Panthers wouldn't bring him in and plug him as the starter - he's just another option.  There's no doubt in my mind they'll be drafting a potential LT and probably signing another veteran too.  Who knows, Oher could end up playing RT, rookie at LT, Remmers as a backup....

I get the feeling they may try a few different combos at tackle leading up to the season.

Barring injuries, the interior lineup is pretty well set.

Oher has at least shown in the past that he's capable of performing at a decent level, and that occurred under Matsko.

Bell was all hope that he had potential.

Has he though?

From Roto...

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Ravens are "unlikely" to make impending free agent RT Michael Oher among the highest-paid right tackles in the league.

The Ravens are much more interested in locking up LT Eugene Monroe, who is also set to become a free agent in March. Oher, the No. 23 overall pick in the 2009 draft, has shown he can't play left tackle and even struggles mightily on the right side. He's taken five penalties and has surrendered seven sacks and 33 hurries, while grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 68 tackle out of 78 qualifiers. Oher will likely seek $6 million annually but may not find it.

This was from December 2013, he ended up allowing another sack before the season was over. I'm not so sure Oher is even an upgrade over Bell to be honest. Oher is that bad.

For all those ready to leap off a cliff regarding the potential signing of Oher, who would you prefer? We have to get some vet OT help and given who is available, who else fits the bill? Keep in mind, we employee his former OL coach, so we have inside info on who we're getting, pending his medical checks.

Of course Oher is gonna get a ton of hate from Titans fans/bloggers. They stupidly overlaid him and it flopped on them. Kinda like Ginn in Arizona and Mitchell in Pittsburgh. We wouldn't be signing Oher expecting Jonathan Ogden and even if we do aign him, I doubt it would have any impact at all on our draft plans.

Good lord people, settle down. Have a beer. Have a toke. Whatever you need to do.

I get the feeling they may try a few different combos at tackle leading up to the season.

Barring injuries, the interior lineup is pretty well set.

Yea I agree the interior won't change but anything could happen at tackle.  Remmers played well but I don't think they'll hand him the RT job.  

Fine with me. Keep the position warm for a month or 2 while the rookie draft pick learns the nuances of NFL caliber line play so that when he gets a chance to play, we aren't looking for a new QB the week after.

i dont think most people realize how much you are hurt by having well below average players on the field.  you can have all the great players you want, but a few just horrible players screw up everything.  we have had far too many of those recently.  simply mediocre players arent that hard to come by  

cason + decoud absolutely crushed our defense at the beginning of last season.   you could say the same about horton, bell, chandler, white (i think he can turn it around, was injured last year).  they were all pretty awful last year.  dickson, dwan and cole were well below average as well, though they werent so bad they hurt us a great deal.  

i dont think most people realize how much you are hurt by having well below average players on the field.  you can have all the great players you want, but a few just horrible players screw up everything.  we have had far too many of those recently.  simply mediocre players arent that hard to come by  

cason + decoud absolutely crushed our defense at the beginning of last season.   you could say the same about horton, bell, chandler, white (i think he can turn it around, was injured last year).  they were all pretty awful last year.  dickson, dwan and cole were well below average as well, though they werent so bad they hurt us a great deal.  

I disagree about Edwards/Cole.  I thought they had a great year, for the roles they were in.  Dickson could go either way.  The biggest thing that hurt him was Tolbert's injury.  Can't have a decent year as a TE, when playing FB for a lot of it.  I will say, I don't think his impact would have been too massive anyway.

I disagree about Edwards/Cole.  I thought they had a great year, for the roles they were in.  Dickson could go either way.  The biggest thing that hurt him was Tolbert's injury.  Can't have a decent year as a TE, when playing FB for a lot of it.  I will say, I don't think his impact would have been too massive anyway.

meh, why sign a TE who cant block, then ask him to block?  the #2 TE in our scheme will always have to block a lot.  he is a "receiving TE" with shoddy hands and an inability to block.  

Rotoworld:

"The Panthers are one of the most tackle-needy teams in the league, but even swinging gate Oher wouldn't solve their problems. Oher has the name but no game. He's on the fast track to falling out of the league. ... Oher is still only 29 (in May), but has been ineffective his entire career. He'll search for work as someone's No. 4 tackle. ... The "Blind Side" has been a major liability in both the run and pass game for nearly five years now. ... Oher never got better during his five-year stint in Baltimore, struggling mightily in spot duty at left tackle and performing at a well-below-average clip on the right side.

Oher can't play left tackle and even struggles mightily on the right side. He's also a penalty machine. The Titans would be better off with Byron Stingily at right tackle. ... The Titans paid Oher $6M for this season and proceeded to watch him get tossed around like a rag doll [at RT opposite Roos then rookie Lewan]. ... He graded out negatively in both the run and pass game, finishing as a bottom-five tackle by Pro Football Focus. ... "I think right tackle is my best position," Oher said. "I think I'm better over there and the team is better." He's right about that last part. But no matter which side he's played, Oher has given up far too many pressures and taken too many penalties."

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5182/michael-oher

Archived