• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Free Agency Update Thread

Mr. Scot

But but but...If we don't spend 90% of our available cap on one guy today, how will we ever be able to compete six months from now?!!! :wacko:

Well we'll be able to compete, we'll just be throwing the ball to Bersin again on a huge 3rd down play in the playoffs!

I wonder what Bowe will get when he's released tomorrow, may come at a fair price

People forget what a beast Stevie Johnson was in Buffalo.  He's not the type of burner that Torrey Smith is, but he's a better WR.  I hope we're all over him when/if his release becomes official.

He "could" be.  Smith is more proven as a burner and more dependable (still has some issues though).  You get someone that is more of a sure thing here and THEN draft for someone.

I will admit, the only thing I don't like about the Torrey Smith deal is 5 years, if we did it I'd rather 3 or 4, plan it so KB is up for extension when it's ending.  

Torrey Smith's decision baffles me.  I know he is getting $40M for 5 years ($8M a year for you non-math types) $22M guaranteed but the high income tax rate, agents cut, etc...he would make roughly the same amount after all of that by taking less somewhere else.  Then consider the fire sale/dumpster fire that is currently SF it makes less sense. 

People forget what a beast Stevie Johnson was in Buffalo. He's not the type of burner that Torrey Smith is, but he's a better WR. I hope we're all over him when/if his release becomes official.

He's my number 1 right now but I know it isn't happening, but ill still complain when it doesn't!

Well we'll be able to compete, we'll just be throwing the ball to Bersin again on a huge 3rd down play in the playoffs!

I wonder what Bowe will get when he's released tomorrow, may come at a fair price

No more possession receivers man.  That is why we sucked last year early.  We need SPEED.  Unfortunately, we lost out on the best speed guy or didn't try (more likely).  Now it's posession receivers and low tier guys left mostly.  

He "could" be.  Smith is more proven as a burner and more dependable (still has some issues though).  You get someone that is more of a sure thing here and THEN draft for someone.

I will admit, the only thing I don't like about the Torrey Smith deal is 5 years, if we did it I'd rather 3 or 4, plan it so KB is up for extension when it's ending.  

What I'm saying is that Stevie Johnson is the more proven WR.  Three straight 1000 yard seasons while Buffalo's #1 target.  Smith has one 1000 yard season and Flacco pretty much forgot he existed once he got an over the hill Smitty to play with.  That should tell you something.

No more possession receivers man.  That is why we sucked last year early.  We need SPEED.  Unfortunately, we lost out on the best speed guy or didn't try (more likely).  Now it's posession receivers and low tier guys left mostly.  

Get the preconceived notions out of your head.  What we need at WR is SKILL.  The fact of the matter is that whether you're talking speed WR, possession WR, whatever, we only had one starting caliber WR last year and that was KB.  Cotchery was the only other WR we had who would've even made many other NFL rosters and he would've been a #4, maybe a #3 on those rosters.  There's a reason why no one else wanted him.  He's just done.  Some of y'all are acting like all "possession receivers" are as slow as Jerricho Cotchery.  That's not accurate at all.

Put KB, Stevie Johnson, and Olsen out there with Ginn in the slot streaking down field to open up the underneath.  Our offense would look MUCH different than it did last year.

Archived