• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers In No Hurry

Jeremy Igo

Actually the Pats build mainly from Free Agency and are pretty mediocre in the draft. The Seahawks have built almost entirely through the draft with very little FA movement up until this year. There absolutely isn't one right way to do it, but whatever way you do it, you gotta make sure you're picking up talent.

Actually, like I said, they rely on both equally. Take a look at this article. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000463391/article/how-the-new-england-patriots-were-built

The money has to come from somewhere and be accounted for.

I'm going to repeat that for you, because you don't seem to be taking the journey with the rest of us in the real world.

The money has to come from somewhere and be accounted for. It's real. The NFL notices when a team is over the cap. There is no hoping they don't notice.

This one is really going to blow your mind:

The Patriots and Packers have the same salary cap that we do. In fact, every NFL team does. The teams that manage it better seem to have more to spend. That's what our GM is trying to do.

But if it were up to some here, we would put ourselves right back up against the wall, then bitch next year about not having money to sign guys.

$13 million dollars is not a lot if money in NFL terms and we have to consider future contracts like Cam's and Luke's.

The condescension is strong with you. Not an admirable trait, and typically why I avoid the main forum. I'm well aware of our cap situation, but we were still in a position to get some quality depth in the second wave of FA. If Voth is to be believed, that wont be happening.

The Pats and Packers have better rosters than us, and are not in cap hell. You know why? They have found the perfect balance between drafting and free agency. In my earlier post I was pointing out that Gettleman seems to favor the draft heavily, which doesn't seem to be the best way to build a franchise in my opinion. 

Hey, in the end, I'm just some guy who needs things repeated to him  because he doesn't have the mental capacity to form an opinion and back it up. Don't mind me.

Shockey was a way better blocker than any TE on last year's roster and he could catch. Not saying he isn't perhaps overrated by some Panther fans, but his game was definitely more complete.

Shockey was the bomb.  I can still remember the feeding frenzy for him when we let him go after his one season here.

Oh, wait....never mind. 

Ted Thompson has been the GM of the Packers for 10 seasons...

Bill Belicheck has been in control of the Pats for 15 years...

David Gettleman has been the GM of the Panthers for 2 seasons and is trying to fix what the previous GM did to the team....

yeah, fair comparisons going here...

• Pie 1

ted thompson started off his packers career with two straight non-winning seasons

ozzie newsome, widely considered among the elite GMs in the league, took over a ravens team in 2002 that had won a super bowl two years earlier.  three of the next five seasons would be losing ones contrasted with two playoff trips, both one and dones.

even if gettleman does suck and is an incompetent idiot he's going to be here for several years

Edited by I Mean He Was Found Guilty

You guys sure have a lot of faith in a guy that took 25 years to become a GM and was convinced Roman Harper was the answer at safety and that a Byron Bell/Nate Chandler combo would be acceptable at the tackles. But oh well I guess this is why they play the games

You don't suppose that something called the salary cap had anything to do with bell and Chandler being our tackles last season. Yes, I do have a lot of faith in Gettleman. 25 years of football is a hellova lot of years of football experience and I will trust him over the huddle reactionaries each and every time. I understand that while building a successful franchise, you are going to have some misses. You simply can't make every shot. You will have some misses. Even Michael Jordan missed shots, that doesn't mean that he isn't arguably the greatest basketball player of all time. Patience my friend. Gett knows what he's doing and we will get to the promised land eventually.

I agree with a lot of what has been said in this thread. Very rational. Very pragmatic. I think the biggest thing I'm thinking about now is depth. Specifically in the secondary. I like Norman, Bene and Boston. Harper is meh but what can you do? But it's who is behind them that has me a little worried. We just signed that CB so there's that. I don't know anything about him. But even as I write this I'm sure most teams have this issue.

I've been looking at Taylor Mays (the tweener LB/S from CIN) and hoping we pick him up on the sly for peanuts. (But I recognize that's unlikely)

Initial reports from Pro Football Talk suggested that Mays could have upwards of five suitors -- including the Cincinnati Bengals, Minnesota Vikings, Oakland Raiders, St. Louis Rams and Washington Redskins.

I guess I'm not really concerned about depth but I need something to worry about. It's March.

My Madden life says YES!!! To Taylor Mays lol. Reality says he lacks alot of football IQ. Just an athlete who can run straight.

My question is Tyvon Branch still hurt or something?!

Edited by TANTRIC-NINJA

My advice? Sit back, relax, and enjoy the fact that the Panthers aren't a team that overpays for other team's players. It is much nicer drafting the players that other teams covet, isn't it? 

We'll really, really, really be getting better when our own players we overpayed for are finally off the books.

Another year or two, thanks Hurmey. But we have made progress!

My Madden life says YES!!! To Taylor Mays lol. Reality says he lacks alot of football IQ. Just an athlete who can run straight.

My question is Tyvon Branch still hurt or something?!

Too bad. I didn't know that about him. I remembered liking him at USC back when they were good with Pete Carrol but that's about it.

Maybe he can play LT?