• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo is a steeler now

Semaj

Wow, a lot of hate on here for a guy that's one season removed from being a big part of why we went 12-4. He was as much a reason for out success last year as Hardy was but now he's a year older he's just terrible and should be absolutely fine with being cut?

I get his dig at JR didn't go down that well but twice in two years now we've had people bad mouthing players that have been here for half our entire history. Just let him move on and accept that it's purely a financial decision.

Wow, a lot of hate on here for a guy that's one season removed from being a big part of why we went 12-4. He was as much a reason for out success last year as Hardy was but now he's a year older he's just terrible and should be absolutely fine with being cut?

I get his dig at JR didn't go down that well but twice in two years now we've had people bad mouthing players that have been here for half our entire history. Just let him move on and accept that it's purely a financial decision.

To be fair, he was also a big reason to why we weren't 13-3.

Think he has a great year.. 

Didn't get too much wear last year for various reasons but he is in a better offensive scheme and a team that has solidfied it self as a great dynasty and tough team every year. Bell is out the first two games so D Will has the chance to show whats up. 

A lot of ONLINE panther fans don't like D Will... but he is a smart dude and a good hearted cat. So I am pulling for him. Thankfully we don't play them on a primetime game this year and get totally embarressed

I totally agree with D-Lo has been a class-A player for us..over the years it took a little bit to get his motor going but I found he always was better when D-Stewart was on the field to give him a break..not sure where the bitterness is besides classless fans.. as u said he was released as business deal not being a piece of crap.. he after Smith Should retire as a Panther.. always loved D-Lo even though I am sure I cursed his name as well on many given Sundays!!

Just let him move on and accept that it's purely a financial decision.

I mean, we did...everybody pretty much knew once we saw Fozzy backing up Stewart and doing so effectively that his time here was done. Heck, even back to last season it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that with another Hurney purge on the horizon he was next in line.

If anything, DeAngelo instigated things by taking a shot at the organization that had paid him far beyond his worth for many years. It was low and completely unnecessary, and fans were and still are right to call him on it.

Specific example? I'm talking about the Seattle fumble.

And don't get me wrong, I don't hate the guy, but he just wasn't productive anymore.

Cam - The four-turnover Arizona game.

Luke - The pass interference penalty that wiped out a game-sealing interception in the Buffalo game.

Those are as bad or worse than DeAngelo's fumble. I do not think it is fair to judge an entire season off one play, especially one that didn't cause us to lose the division or miss the playoffs.

As for productivity, I disagree. DeAngelo was playing excellently (aside from the fumble) the first three games - in fact, he was a workhorse. He had 62 carries (21 per game) for 291 yards (4.7 YPC), and was getting around 70% of carries. This makes sense considering Cam's rib injury. Once Cam improved and Tolbert was given more carries, his production tapered off a bit after that, but in the 7 games before Jonathan Stewart returned he had 114 carries (16 per game) for 477 yards (4.2 yards per carry), or about 68 yards per game. Extrapolated over an entire season, that's nearly 1,100 yards. That's not great, but it's pretty good for an older back splitting carries with two other backs (Tolbert and Cam) while running behind a fairly bad line.

Once Jonathan Stewart returned, his production plummeted. In the five games he split carries with Stewart (he missed one game due to injury), he only had 50 carries (10 carries per game) for 185 yards (3.7 yards per carry). For comparison, over those five games Stewart had 34 carries for 141 yards (4.2 yards per carry). In the remaining three games without Stewart, he had 37 carries (12 per game) for 181 yards (4.9 yards per carry).

So, in the 10 games where he wasn't splitting with Stewart, he had 151 carries (15 per game) for 658 yards (4.4 yards per carry). Over a whole season, that would be roughly 240 carries for 1,050 yards. Once again, not great numbers, but pretty good for our system (with carries split between two other runners). Take out the Jonathan Stewart games and he has a fairly decent rushing season.

Archived