• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

For the "Cam ain't got weapons" crowd.

thefuzz

I went back and looked at the two teams that the Panthers have stated time and again that they want to try to copy.  Then looked at their QB's, who IMO are very similar to Cam Newton as far as ability to play the game, and overall QB rankings.

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger, and the Giants and Eli Manning.  Both are fantastic teams, and both QB's were high draft picks that are similar to Cam Newton if not worse when they came into the league.

I then looked at their most recent Super Bowls, the rosters and how they acquired those rosters.  I'm working on the offensive side of the ball, since that is what I hear everyone screaming about.  I didn't have time to completely run through every player, but looked at the names that I remember being big time players for them.

The 2005/06 Steelers:

RB: Bettis and Parker, both drafted, home grown talents.

WR: Ward, drafted by the Steelers, and Randel El, drafted by the Steelers, then allowed to walk and sign a huge deal elsewhere, only to come back, sign cheap and win a ring.  (sound kinda familiar?)

TE: Miller, home grown.

OL: Faneca, Kemo, Starks....all homegrown.

The 2008/2009 Steelers;

Homes: Homegrown/drafted high, but not as good as KB

RB's: Nothing to write home about other than Parker....

Colon and Hartwig, Homegrown, and cheap vet.

The 2007/2008 Giants:

Jacobs: Drafted 4th round, homegrown.

Burress:  FA in 2005 6 years 25 million.

Shockey: Drafted in 2002, long before Eli got there.

The 2011/2012 Giants:

Cruz: UDFA/homegrown

Bradshaw: drafted/homegrown

Barden: 3rd round draft pick/homegrown

Manningham: 3rd rounder/homegrown

Nicks: 1st rounder/homegrown

Ballard: UDFA/homegrown

I will go ahead and admit that I'm sure I missed a couple guys in there, but that's the direction I see this franchise going.  The only big name FA for those 4 Super Bowls was Burress, and we all know how that turned out, even though they did get over the hump with him.

Flame away.

I can't speak much on the 2005 Steelers, but the 2008 Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of all-time.  They didn't need a lot of weapons on their offense.  So maybe if our defense gets that good... yeah.

I can't speak much on the 2005 Steelers, but the 2008 Steelers had one of the greatest defenses of all-time.  They didn't need a lot of weapons on their offense.  So maybe if our defense gets that good... yeah.

With Hardy and Landon Collins our D would be that good.

I think most people realize that he does have "weapons". I wouldn't call the few buffoons running around as a "crowd".

Instead of worrying about the fact that people are making these claims, you should ask yourself why.

It took the Panthers 4 years (the bulk of Newton's very reasonable rookie deal) to acquire a legit WR through the draft. Of course by sheer coincidence this was the same season he had ankle surgery, and we decided to clear out the entire WR core. Not exactly a recipe for success.

I think we have proper enough pieces right now, but we definitely need to look to keep improving if we can.

I don't understand this debate that has been going on this board the past few days. I have full faith in Gettleman that he is being smart about how he is building this team and trust his approach. I also don't think there is even a question that this team has put less weapons and less help around cam than other teams with young QBs. Both parties can be right in this argument.

I don't understand this debate that has been going on this board the past few days. I have full faith in Gettleman that he is being smart about how he is building this team and trust his approach. I also don't think there is even a question that this team has put less weapons and less help around cam than other teams with young QBs. Both parties can be right in this argument.

Did you read the post, go back and do some research and come back with this?

Did you read the post, go back and do some research and come back with this?

you are comparing players that were drafted about a decade apart. you are comparing Eli and Roethlisberger who received outrageous contracts opposed to Cam who was on the rookie scale and was affordable for the first few years. the salary cap is higher than it was when Elie and Ben were drafted. the comparisons don't work no matter how you try to force it.

you are comparing players that were drafted about a decade apart. you are comparing Eli and Roethlisberger who received outrageous contracts opposed to Cam who was on the rookie scale and was affordable for the first few years. the salary cap is higher than it was when Elie and Ben were drafted. the comparisons don't work no matter how you try to force it.

Um....Eli's was a little more than Cams but was a 7 year contract (bad for player)

Ben's was less than Cam's and was a 6 year contract.  (bad for player)

Cam signed a 4 year contract with a huge option year (better for player)

You can try your best to change the facts, but the fact is, the Panthers have seen this blueprint work, and they are going to photocopy it.

Archived