• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Todd Gurley to visit with the Panthers

TylerVagyler

Probably because the need for a RB is far less important than other areas, at least for the upcoming season.  I wouldn't be surprised if we go for one earlier than usual either though.  There's some damn good ones that could go in those first 3 rounds or so.

This.

I agree that we have other bigger immediate needs, but this is a deep RB class and we all know Gettleman treasures value in draft picks.  While RB isn't a HUGE need immediately, it could be a huge need if you fast forward a year - or during this season if Stewart goes down. 

Kind of reminds me of how DE wasn't a huge need last year, but we took Ealy in the 2nd anyway.  Imagine how big of a need DE would be right now if Ealy wasn't taken last year.  Now, obviously it isn't fair at all to compare Hardy's situation to Stewart's, I'm just saying that Gettleman thinks ahead.  He knew last year at this time that Hardy was probably playing his last season in Carolina and I believe he's thinking that same way about Stewart currently.

We should draft him in the 1st to continue the Panthers tradition of meaninglessly having 2 RBs who were drafted high and/or could potentially both be starters on the roster at once.

Davis/Foster--->Foster/Williams--->Williams/Stewart--->Stewart/Gurley.

C'MON GMAN DO IT FOR TEH HURNEY

6803659_G.jpg

And a good chance two of those guys, (Stewart and Tolbert) aren't on the roster in 2016 because of their contracts.

In the first? Hell no. In the 2nd? Tempting. The 3rd? All day. He'll probably go in the 2nd, but gotta cover all bases. Trade down scenario could happen for all we know...and if Gurley is the BPA with our current backfield in question beyond this year...I wouldn't hate jumping on him in the late 2nd if he's clearly the best guy left.

Meh

Running backs are a dime of dozen, you can pick one up as an UDFA and still produce. And theirs always next years draft. I think we have much bigger needs

Gurley doesn't blow me away to be honest.

Stewart has a projected cap hit of $13m next year. We can save just under $6m by post June 1st cut. Can save 2m with an outright cut. At some point we have to get rid of his contract. His contract is like an SCP Mexican food truck special. It's going to be messy but we will feel better when it's gone. 

Meh

Running backs are a dime of dozen, you can pick one up as an UDFA and still produce. And theirs always next years draft. I think we have much bigger needs

Gurley doesn't blow me away to be honest.

Yep, they're a dime a dozen.  That's why Buffalo just traded a very good young MLB for McCoy and then gave McCoy a fat new contract.  It's why Philly paid Murray big time.  It's why Ingram got a decent contract from the Saints even though they're in cap hell.  It's why CJ Spiller got $9M guaranteed.

The media has overplayed the diminished value of RBs in today's NFL.  Good RBs are still very valuable.

Archived