• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steeler Doc Says CTE "Rare Phenomena"

Anybodyhome

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12507025/cte-rare-phenomena-claims-dr-joseph-maroon-pittsburgh-steelers-neurosurgeon-nfl-medical-consultant

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a "rare phenomena" and youth football is safer than riding a bike or skateboard, a Pittsburgh Steelers neurosurgeon and NFL medical consultant said Wednesday in response to the retirement of San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland.

Borland told ESPN's "Outside the Lines" this week that he wants to protect himself from the risk of future brain injury. Appearing on NFL Network, Dr. Joseph Maroon -- who advises the NFL on head, neck and spine injury -- said the game "has never been safer" and downplayed the risk of CTE based on current data.

What a maroon.... (sorry, couldn't help it)

he did say "youth football" but I guess we're just gonna ignore that

Yep. Youth football is very safe. I've been at 30 or so youth games the past few years and I've never once seen a serious injury or even a concussion.

I watched Tolbert almost kill Eric Reid.

To be fair, that was 100% on Reid. Shoulda read the scouting report : ).

I think a young Thomas Davis ended a promising Green Bay rookie wide receiver's career in football.

TD has laid some impeccably nasty hits on people.  Aaron Rodgers cited a hit from him once as being the hardest hit he'd ever taken and was feeling it long into the playoffs.

Archived