• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RIP Chuck Bednarik

Mr. Scot

From an ESPN article that I think came out almost 15 years ago, as evidenced by the "Current Crazies" at the bottom - the link is dated 2012, but I remember reading and giving a presentation about it during my junior year of HS: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/magazine/archives/news/story?page=magazine-19981214-article22

Panthers connection: Kevin Greeen is listed as a "Current Crazy" and a Carolina player.

With regards to Bednarik:

The Madness (Off-Field): After losing at a country club game of gin, he hurled both decks into the air, then methodically spiked each and every card (104 of them) with his golf shoes. Nutritional Supplements: Averaged as many as 15 cigarettes before a game, then one or two at halftime; took a "bennie" before night games to stay "alert." The Harder Side: 49ers fullback Joe Perry once ran over Bednarik's right bicep with his cleats, ripping the muscle from the bone. Bednarik walked over to the Eagles bench, worked the torn muscle back up his arm, had the trainer put tape over the bicep then continued playing. The Softer Side: Played the accordion. One of his favorite songs was "Somewhere My Love." Additional Gig: Disc jockey at a radio station in Bethlehem, Pa.

Archived