• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From Bridgewater to Newton...but...

Jeremy Igo

A lot of things happen in the draft. Bortles was selected 3rd so it's not perfect. If you don't understand Bridgewater's mastery of the pocket and accuracy then you shouldn't comment about him. The kid just know all his protections and which ones are breaking down at all time. Only few QBs understands that concept well and he understood it since his days at Northwestern HS.

The only place on the net that might believe that lunacy. Clicky http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com

Once in the red zone cam should take over play calls IMO. Especially inside the 10, hell he could fall forward three times and score.

I think we have to continue to go no huddle while in the redzone. I noticed that towards the end of the season that Shula finally stopped trying to go no huddle between the 20s only to slow the game down in the redzone. And continued to put his foot on the gas until it resulted in a TD.

Teddy played game manager his rookie year. He's solid and I like him a lot compared to other young QBs, but to say he's anywhere near Cam is outrageous. Trade Shula for Norv and see what happens.

You realize Cam and Teddy had almost identical stats across the board, right? If Teddy played game manager then Cam did too.

Compare rookie years

I don't see how that's relevant. I don't think either one of them is a game manager. Both were asked to do very similar things in the passing game last year including the amount of downfield passing they did(Teddy actually had slightly more completions of both 20+ and 40+). Cam is asked to be a pivotal part of the run game where Teddy is not, but in terms of their role passing the ball they are very similar and you can't call Teddy a game manager and not call Cam one.

Yes, should Jennings sign in Carolina he will be getting an upgrade at QB, although Bridgewater should have been in the talks for rookie of the year.

But more importantly, Jennings will be going from Norv Turner to Mike Shula.

Last season Brandon Lafell performed at a higher level in New England while Jericcho Cotchery performed at a lower level in Carolina. So, it is far from a given that Jennings will have the same numbers here as he did in Minnesota, in fact, it is rather unlikely.

Going from Norv Turner to Mike Shula is a really significant drop, more so than the upgrade he will be getting at QB.

Cothery also went from Ben to Cam. There is no removing the factor of the QB role in the equation. Newton simply is not on Roethlisbergers level as a passer.

Cothery also went from Ben to Cam. There is no removing the factor of the QB role on the equation. Newton simply is not on Roethlisbergers level as a passer.

Not sure about that. Cotchery's numbers were comparable. His touchdowns went down 90% however. I'd say that goes along with Shula's redzone woes that have plagued his career. 

To anybody saying "Shula can't be too bad, we had two 1,000 yard receivers".

One is one of the best receiving TEs in the league. And, the only constant target Cam has had every seasons since he was drafted. He's expected to get damn near 1,000 every year. And we utilize the TE a lot, by design.

The other is a good rookie. OK, I should just be happy, I know, but a LOT of rookies come on strong their first year, put up numbers...and now teams know what to expect. KB could have had closer to 1300 yards and a few more TDs had he not dropped so many, but my point still stands. He has a year of game film going against him now. Teams will start adjusting coverage more, even more than they did already. If he's as great as we all hope he is, he'll at least be as productive next season. However, a lesser receiver doesn't get the stats he got last season in this system. Just doesn't happen. KB MADE a lot of plays possible just by being freakishly large and having the ability to make those big time catches. Not every receiver has that.

Yes, Cam DOES spread the ball around a lot. He doesn't just lock in on one or two guys and feed them the ball all game. But we still shouldn't have 2/3 of our receiving numbers coming from 2 guys alone. We need one, maybe two other guys who can take the load off of them, while not stealing their numbers completely.

Our offensive system does NOT get guys open. Every QB misses open receivers from time to time. You can't always say "Cam isn't finding the open guy". Most people here (I think) understand that fact and know that when Cam holds the ball forever, more times than not, it's because nobody is open and he's just waiting for somebody to get open. Or waiting on those constant deep ass routes to develop enough to risk the throw if he has to.

Look at Seattle. Look at Denver. Look at NE. Look at NO. All of these systems are DESIGNED to get guys open. Specifically one. And that design expands to include 2nd and 3rd options, depending on the coverage, that WILL be open or open enough to try a throw and see what happens if they try to take away the primary receiver. We have some plays like that...but they're not the norm. Shula has terrible play design, terrible vision, terrible situational awareness, and terrible foresight in his play-calling. This has been demonstrated countless times. Sure, he has a good series or two in some games....but that doesn't make up for the, on average, 6 or so terrible drives he calls in those same games. And a lot of times, even the bad drives can be salvaged with just a LITTLE awareness of situation. 3rd and 2? fug it, everybody go vertical. If this happened rarely, I wouldn't be too mad. This happens AT LEAST once every. Single. Game.

Shula is our hindrance. No great FA offensive player is going to want to come here to be placed in a system where they're not going to have plays designed to get them open. Or placed in a system where they're going to do the exact opposite of what successful offenses do.

We'll be mediocre-to-good next season, largely in part to the defense and Cam being incredible (and hopefully a stout running game), and Shula will have his job saved, again, until somebody in the organization wakes up and realizes how truly deadly we could be with a competent OC.

You gotta admit that Cam miss a lotta give-me. Everyone here is rooting for Cam but he needs to be better. I think that's the reason he's not offered a contract yet. The organization wants to see how he does when the OL is no more an excuse. I certainly want to see that too.

His receivers missed "a lotta give me" too. I don't know how Cam can be better when the two people on the team that are supposed to be possession receivers can't catch a ball right in their hands. It doesn't help with all of the drops that KB had.

Archived