• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thomas Davis will get an extension, plus more not mentioned in tweets

Nick_81

He's also missed close to 3 years of games, due to the ACL injuries.  That's 3 years that his body hasn't been punished like most guys his age/position.  I think he'll still produce at a fairly high level for at least a couple more years, which is likely what the extension will look like.

That's certainly an argument and although it's not one I completely subscribe to, I do understand it. I'd love to have the guy back for a couple more years, but not at top level LB money. Time and time again NFL players(QB's excepted) drop off ridiculously fast at around 32-34 regardless of how much time they've had off. The Steelers are practically begging Polamalu to retire at age 33.

"Better to get rid of a guy a year early rather than a year late."

It sucks but you don't want to be stuck with a bunch of money tied up in a guy who can't play anymore. If he is asking for top level money then I think Gettleman has to let him go.

Man Gman really thinks Oher is the answer to our LT problem....idk how I feel about that

Saying that he expects Oher to be the starter doesn't necessarily mean he thinks Oher is the answer at left tackle.   Unless the question is, who are we going to give a shot to prove himself.  We could pickup someone in the draft as insurance, or even to groom in case Oher doesn't show us much more than Bell did. 

I wouldn't expect him to say Oher is a temp replacement until we find our real lt, even if he is thinking it.

That's certainly an argument and although it's not one I completely subscribe to, I do understand it. I'd love to have the guy back for a couple more years, but not at top level LB money. Time and time again NFL players(QB's excepted) drop off ridiculously fast at around 32-34 regardless of how much time they've had off. The Steelers are practically begging Polamalu to retire at age 33.

"Better to get rid of a guy a year early rather than a year late."

It sucks but you don't want to be stuck with a bunch of money tied up in a guy who can't play anymore. If he is asking for top level money then I think Gettleman has to let him go.

I'm not saying he won't fall off, but if the last couple of years are any indication, he should be okay for a couple more.  I definitely don't expect any outrageous numbers to be thrown around.  I understand what you're getting at though.

TD has slowed down with age, but he's the kind of LB who should retire with your team. He's admitted his legs and not what they once were, but he has less wear and tear on his upper body due to the seasons he missed. If Sam Mills deserved a statue, then TD should have three.

Obviously the right decision. Now let's get Norman extended then CJ extended to bring his cap number down a sh*tload please. Sign Jennings and Ball, do work in the draft and get ready to be playing in Februrary.

I don't know how you define "a sh*tload" but IF CJ was willing to take a straight up pay cut all the way down to the vet minimum, he would still hit our cap for close to $11 million.  Start there and add in some more prorated bonus and guaranteed salary and you won't be saving a sh*tload in my book.

CJ makes a lot of money because he's an elite DE. He's the most valuable player on the team not named Cam.

He's not elite enough to have a cap hit of $20M. And in response to one of your other posts, Hardy is better than Johnson.

CJ makes a lot of money because he's an elite DE. He's the most valuable player on the team not named Cam.

I'd argue Luke is that guy but him being so damned young and seemingly quiet, he's not the leader CJ is. But I'd say Luke is more valuable. Semantics I know.

Archived