• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cryptic Voth tweet

SgtJoo

If you pick pure BPA like Gettleman says he does(I don't buy it personally but not the point) then at 25 we should never draft anyone ranked lower than 25 on our board which means we should be bringing in almost everyone we have ranked in the 10-25 range so we can have a good idea about anyone who drops. Particularly guys like Gurley and Gregory who are probably ranked top 25 but could easily drop due to injury concerns(Gurley) and size issues(Gregory). So what we are doing is very practical if you think about it.

Personally I think Gregory shouldn't even be on our board because he makes almost no sense as a 4-3 DE due to his weight. In a 4-3 he's pretty much a situational pass rusher only for at least a year or two until he bulks up(and he has to bulk up so much you don't even know if he'll be the same player afterwards) and I think you need to get better value out of a first round pick than that. However, that's my opinion and I'm not the GM.

I definitely call BS on this. Why even have these discussions before the player you want is available there? Also, no team is trading down before they see who is there.

If there is a guy in that range you think might be there and you're worried about the teams behind them picking that player before he gets to us then it makes a ton of sense to set the groundwork for a potential trade before the draft so you get an idea what you need to give up ahead of time if that player falls and you decide it's worth it. Teams are only on the clock for 10 minutes so if you have no framework set up ahead of time you could force yourself into a panic trade up and have to give up more than we want to move. If we set it up ahead of time, all Gettleman has to do is call them up and say, "Hey, you know that trade we talked about at the meetings? That still work for you?" It gives you more time to set things up and more options on draft day which is always a good thing.

Obviously we aren't making any trades until that pick is up.

White cooper or Parker. If they fall past say 15 I can see us trying to make something happen. Getts isn't going to trade a future first like ole dumbo had a habit of doing.

If White or Cooper fall past the 15th pick a lot of teams will be trying to move up. Could get expensive.

Teams also bring in top draftees to get an up close and personal look at them because they know that they will be playing against them in the future. If they can gain a better evaluation of what they can and cannot do it may be helpful in gameplanning down the road.

These scouting departments look at everybody not just for who they think they can or will draft, but merely as a way to validate their ability to assess talent. They track these players, even the ones they don't draft over time to see if their scouting methodology is sound. This is how you get better at choosing the right players in the draft.

Archived