• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

same as last year, Rivera says Cam has got to become a more sound QB

gettlemanjack

I love how these threads quickly morph into counter attacks against Rivera and everyone's whipping boy, Shula , without acknowledging the elephant in the room. Newton is inconsistent and often lazy in his mechanics often relying on his athleticism. How many guys can even throw the ball 30 yards on a rope off his back foot? Feel free to criticize Rivera and Shula but that doesn't change that he is right on with his comments.

I love how these threads quickly morph into counter attacks against Rivera and everyone's whipping boy, Shula , without acknowledging the elephant in the room. Newton is inconsistent and often lazy in his mechanics often relying on his athleticism. How many guys can even throw the ball 30 yards on a rope off his back foot? Feel free to criticize Rivera and Shula but that doesn't change that he is right on with his comments.

You couldn't think of any other word than lazy? Really? Hopefully that's just a mistake on your part. I don't think dealing with an ankle injury, a rib injury, and a back injury, yet still pushing through and starting 14 regular season games would fall under "lazy".

All of the above mentioned factors had a substantial impact on his mechanics.

It isn't like Cam was just out there like "I don't feel like applying what I've learned as a pocket passer today guys, fug it".

It happens that way because we watched the game. . You can't asked a player to be a pocket passer and not give him multiple pass catchers or sufficient blocking.. You also can't asked him to be 35% of your running game and have perfect passing Mechanics .

I wait until the great 55 can tell me what QB in history can do that..

Cam does throw off of his back foot a lot, but that was probably because he wanted to brace himself with his core for the shot he was about to take because his line was ass. He does have the armstrength to sort of pull it off, but it still looks bad. It needs to be fixed one way or the other.

You couldn't think of any other word than lazy? Really? Hopefully that's just a mistake on your part. I don't think dealing with an ankle injury, a rib injury, and a back injury, yet still pushing through and starting 14 regular season games would fall under "lazy".

It isn't like Cam was just out there like "I don't feel like applying what I've learned as a pocket passer today guys, fug it".

Another overreaction. Saying he is lazy with his mechanics doesn't say he s lazy in his behavior or attitude. It is a football term meaning he is often doesn't follow through with each fundamental movement and often shortcuts his mechanics. That has nothing to do with his being injured or surgery. Let's be real here, it isn't as of this issue just started this past year. It has been a consistent issue since he came here. Why so defensive all the time?

It happens that way because we watched the game. . You can't asked a player to be a pocket passer and not give him multiple pass catchers or sufficient blocking.. You also can't asked him to be 35% of your running game and have perfect passing Mechanics .

I wait until the great 55 can tell me what QB in history can do that..

Grow up dude. He has done the same thing whether he had Gross, Wharton, and Smitty out there or the bunch of JAGs last . Year. He would be the first to agree with Rivera. Largely because unlike you he is interested in getting better instead of making excuses and blaming everyone else.

You will notice a pattern with him. He is the first to criticize Newton, last to saying anything positive, and is completely silent when time comes to surround Newton with talent...but the first to complain when the Panthers arent scoring 50 on the Seahawks. 

I agree with what Rivera is saying, but if you want Cam to become a pocket passer then you have to call plays as if he's a pocket passer. When Cam gets into a rhythm with his arm, he can be very good. After rewatching the first half of the season, I've seen that these designed runs that Shula calls for Cam end up killing his momentum passing the ball. I just find that Rivera is being kinda hypocritical with his comments. I'm pretty sure Voth wrote an article about this at about midseason.

Archived