• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If I Had to Call the WR Depth Chart Today...

SetfreexX

1-KB

2-Jennings ®

3-Ginn ®

4-Rookie

5-Hill

Some of you may agree, some of you may not. As you can see Brown, Cotchery, and Bersin have been replaced with Ginn, a rookie, and Hill. (Disclaimer--Cotchery stays if we miss out on Jennings)** Personal opinion after seeing all of these players play in the NFL at some level I see Jennings, Ginn, Hill, and a rookie as upgrades over Brown, Cotchery, and Bersin.

Brown and Bersin made our roster over other UDFA/practice squad players like McNutt, King, an oft-injured Gettis, and Tiquan Underwood. Bersin in my opinion got the nod due to his 3 years of being a camp body, no real difference between him and the other young possession receivers and the Wofford connection with the Big Cat. Some of you may like some of his 3rd down grabs but his ceiling athletically is very low, and he's not the kind of talent that can consistently threaten NFL secondaries.

Brown made our roster ORIGINALLY as a returner, not as a receiver; as he was behind Cotchery, Avant, and Bersin. We had no one else to return punts, and by the time he lost his job we were already too far into the season to replace him (hint-we just did that with a 2yr deal for Ginn).

Cotchery, left a lot to be desired slow, no yac, but was a mentor and at least had good hands. Honest opinion his best season was as the 3rd it Pittsburgh touchdown wise because he was used primarily in the slot, asking him to play outside was out of necessity because we had the mass exodus at receiver last off-season cutting Smith, and not re-signing LaFell, Ginn, and Hixon.

If we take a receiver in the first three rounds like many think we will ® will mean he could be at any of those three spots on the depth chart based on how early one is grabbed. If we take one in the first two rounds IMO the expectation is he'll likely start in the slot and rotate with Ginn, but eventually we will see Jennings relegated to the slot if the rookie catches on.

Hill to me is the wild card, he possesses so much more upside than Bersin and Brown, raw size and speed, (something Bersin/Brown would have combined if they were one player). After an off-season of working out, last season, and this coming training camp to learn the offense, I find it hard to believe that Brown/Bersin supporters wouldn't prefer him as the 5th receiver who legitimately has number two receiver potential.

At the very least I'd rather see a go pattern thrown to a 6'4 4.4 speed receiver vs a 5'11 180lb receiver, and as the 5th that's not a bad option. twenty-three year old with plenty of room to be brought on slowly, I'd gladly like to see our own "Optimus Prime" come out of no where seemingly. If we can develop Brown, and Bersin enough to actually get some on field reps, and make a few plays, there's no reason to believe we can't do the same for Hill, because whether you want to admit it or not he's made just as many plays already.

That's so hard on the eyes man...

The edit is so much better, thanks.

As it stands, right now, we don't even know if Jennings is signing yet, so we can't pencil that in.  I'm not going to pencil a rookie in just yet either.  What if he doesn't get a WR until the middle rounds, and they're not ready to start just yet?  I also won't just push Brown out the door yet.  The kid actually runs good routes, has shown good hands, has good speed, and doesn't show fear in traffic.  Why just scratch him off the list, when he could be the future in the slot?  Ginn won't be around for the next, even 5 years.  I'm sure Hill can win a spot at the bottom of the roster.  If he can't, well... lol.  Also wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if he blows everyone else out of the water, and has become the freak he was supposed to be.

Why bother considering Jennings yet though?

Just trying to keep the option available, but I included a disclaimer in case he is not. This is just a feeling I had. Of the teams that need a veteran receiver who else is out there offering him a contract....I've heard Miami. 

If I'm Jennings I'm staying away from the AFC East, and having to face a revamped Todd Bowles, Revis and Cromartie secondary, Rex Ryan and the Bills, and Belichek who always finds a way to at least be sound on defense. Especially when I could come to the NFC South and play with Cam an OROY, Kuechly DROY, and Star DROY.

We featured one of the league's best defenses down the stretch in 2014 and were 2nd in 2013, 7-8-1 or not we're breeding a winning culture (one year removed from 12-4, after a planned step back) and as the roster currently is constructed you're the #2 (even if not spoken) from day one. 

Hill has done nothing. Untill he actually plays a snap and actually catches a pass, then I would not be to sure about that list.

Hill has caught passes, and touchdowns, look at LaFell, step up in QB step up in production. I appreciate Cam as our QB but going to Brady is a big difference. 

Hill going from Sanchez to Cam is a similar jump, a strong armed QB who can take advantage of what seemed like his biggest asset which is getting behind the defense (ala Ginn's resurgence). Asking Hill to be a possession receiver isn't smart IMO, he's a vertical threat, not a catch in traffic guy. 

But if you guys really believe Brown has a higher ceiling than Hill you're mistaken. In this group you tell me if you'd have Brown over Ginn, Jennings, and a rookie top 3 pick. If we hadn't lost Ginn in FA last year Philly likely isn't signed as an UDFA due to our HOLE AT KR/PR at the time. I'm telling you an UDFA is expendable when a better version is signed to a 2 yr deal. 

I kinda think we'll go back to having 6 receivers...once we cut Avant we were stuck with KB, Cotch, Philly, Bersin, and Presley. I also don't think adding Jennings necessarily means Cotchery is gone, all he has to do is beat out the likes of Bersin, Presley, Hill, Lucas, and Mike Brown for one of those last spots.

Benjamin, (Jennings), Cotchery, Brown, Ginn, and probably a rookie.

Archived