• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim OT Jonathan Martin

jamos14

Congrats to dave for trying to improve the issue at OT. Both oher & martin where low round draft picks, that are still young. In order to make this years team @ OT, you're going to have to earn it.

You're saying that at 6', 210 I should just go ahead and give up my dream of playing left tackle?

Sniff

in 14' under the scrutinity of the media the NFL was lambasted for not levying appropriate punishment for domestic viloence,and Hardy became the poster child for Goodells exempt list.then in 13' abuse presented itself in the form of bullying and Martin was the victim.i am not sure,but I believe the league banned hazing at the conclusion of this particular probe

anyway the Panthers release Hardy during the off-season (15') and Steve Smith the previous off-season (14')and it's a well known FACT that he not only bullied his teammates verbally but also physically.so it just leads me to believe that this team values image and creating a healthy environment for players such as Martin moreso than abusive talent.

sure it's pure speculation on my part that signing Martin was a PR move,and i could very well be wrong.however,if he comes in and publicly expresses what a great organization the Panthers are,and how it allowed him the opportunity to reinvinte himself...well...

The clarification was unnecessary. He understood what you meant.

What he was doing with his post was telling you that what you said was stupid.

(and he was right)

Edited by Mr. Scot

He graded better than Byron Bell did.

First off PFF is an inaccurate website

And if he did grade out better than Bell it isn't saying much. Your basically replacing dog s**t with cat s**t.

I'm hoping for the best though cause between Oher and Martin Cam is in for another rough season.

I like this signing. Smart guy who was given a bad rep in Miami by involement with  a roid rage mentally unstable guard. I think he will do fine here in a smaller market where the glare of the public is less. Hopefully Coach can fix his technique and he will be a solid contributor. If not there you move on at no risk.

And if he did grade out better than Bell it isn't saying much. Your basically replacing dog s**t with cat s**t.

I'm hoping for the best though cause between Oher and Martin Cam is in for another rough season.

I'm not a big fan, but they do at least know more about football than you do.

This is a good, low risk, high reward signing.

• Pie 1

I don't know about this, but I do see your opinion.

My thought is, an OL is made up of 5 guys that build chemistry, and are strong as a sum of their parts. 

Oher, Remmers & Martin might not be All-Pro tackles or anything more than average tackles, but when they bookend Norwell-Kalil-Turner, the whole unit balances out their deficiencies. 

I think 1 of these 3 tackles will emerge as an above average tackle this year.  That gives you 4 out of 5 OL that are dependable.  Norwell, Kalil, Turner and Remmers have 1/2 a season to build off of, and if they can stay healthy, I think this OL is instantly better than the crap we saw for most of last season in the trenches.

I might be a homer here, but I will wait to judge Oher before seeing him healthy and reunited with Matzko.  I will also hold judgment on Martin until I see him with this team.  We're getting Martin in late March, which gives him all offseason to get acclimated to the core of that line.

It wouldn't surprise me if both flop here, but knowing how changes of scenery and being fully removed from injuries can have positive affects, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt.  

Regardless, I think if we roll out Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers or Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Martin, it will be stronger, better and safer for Cam & the running game, than it was in 2014.

Considering the $1M pricetag for a former 2nd round pick that is only 25 years old, I'm good with it.  Worst case it's depth if that horrible injury bug bites us again.  Martin can step in and at least provide a band-aid.

Just my 2 pennies.

• Pie 2

I don't know about this, but I do see your opinion.

My thought is, an OL is made up of 5 guys that build chemistry, and are strong as a sum of their parts.

Oher, Remmers & Martin might not be All-Pro tackles or anything more than average tackles, but when they bookend Norwell-Kalil-Turner, the whole unit balances out their deficiencies.

I think 1 of these 3 tackles will emerge as an above average tackle this year. That gives you 4 out of 5 OL that are dependable. Norwell, Kalil, Turner and Remmers have 1/2 a season to build off of, and if they can stay healthy, I think this OL is instantly better than the crap we saw for most of last season in the trenches.

I might be a homer here, but I will wait to judge Oher before seeing him healthy and reunited with Matzko. I will also hold judgment on Martin until I see him with this team. We're getting Martin in late March, which gives him all offseason to get acclimated to the core of that line.

It wouldn't surprise me if both flop here, but knowing how changes of scenery and being fully removed from injuries can have positive affects, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, I think if we roll out Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers or Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Martin, it will be stronger, better and safer for Cam & the running game, than it was in 2014.

Considering the $1M pricetag for a former 2nd round pick that is only 25 years old, I'm good with it. Worst case it's depth if that horrible injury bug bites us again. Martin can step in and at least provide a band-aid.

Just my 2 pennies.

Good analysis.

They're checking out another guy too (visited yesterday).

Gettlemen is collecting fallen stocks in hopes that one or two rebound.  How good is Matsko?  Well, I think he got all he could get out of Bell.  Bell is just that bad.  The best examples are Remmers, Turner, and Norwell.  No experience/rookies/etc. 

System + chemistry + coaching + talent....who knows?  How much will it cost to find out?  Not much.

Some people really perform when their backs are against the wall.  Oher, Chandler, Martin--they all have that in common.  This is their last chance, and they probably know it.

• Pie 1