• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Maine's 2015 Mock Draft (Comp. Picks Included)

I wanted to post this in the main forum rather than the draft page to get more feedback and have a larger discussion on some of the prospects mentioned below. I wanted to take a tackle earlier but with the additions of Oher and Martin, I just do not think Gettleman is targeting a tackle very early this year. The majority of players in this mock have already met with the Panthers this off-season. I recommended visiting Ken's thread "Prospect Meetings by Position" in the NFL Draft section of this message board to see the extensive list of guys we have been interested in since the draft process began. He does a great job of keeping it updated. No mock draft will satisfy everyone but I think this draft would go a long way towards locking up a third straight division title for the 2015 Carolina Panthers. 

(1) 25th Breshad Perriman, WR Central Florida 

6'2" 212lbs.

I know what you're thinking..."workout warrior/late riser", "suspect hands", "poor route running" etc. I get all that. Prior to running somewhere in the 4.2-4.3 range at his pro day, Perriman was seen by many as a fringe first round talent but was more likely going to be an early second round selection. He improved every year at UCF despite poor quarterback play his final year in school. He displays the ideal size and athleticism to be a number one receiver in the National Football League. His struggles to consistently catch the football but when you watch the film cut-ups available on him, you will notice it is not so much a technique issue. He is a willing hands catcher and like Kelvin Benjamin, the drops seem to stem more from lapses in concentration. In fact, poor route running and suspect hands did not stop us from drafting Kelvin Benjamin in the first round last season. Perriman is a better athlete than Kelvin Benjamin and has the speed, size, and hops to get vertical on even the best corners in the NFL. He is a threat to go the distance every time the ball is in his hands. The KB and Perriman pair in Carolina would come with its share of frustrating drops and WTF moments, but the upside and explosive plays and mismatches outweigh the risk in my eyes. With Coach Proehl working with him, Perriman could be another stellar rookie.

(2) 57th Tevin Coleman, RB Indiana 

5'11" 206lbs. 

It is no secret Gettleman wants another back this upcoming draft. BPA meets need in Indiana's Tevin Coleman, one of my favorite players in the draft. This kid is a powerful and explosive north-south runner that hits holes harder than most backs I've watched. In fact, some of his detractors say he runs almost too hard: shows some lack of patience in his game as he looks to get up to full speed as fast as possible and hits holes that may not even be open. Coleman can carry the load on his own and would be a great option out of the backfield with Stewart and company. Needs to work on running lower behind his pads, but the bottom line is Coleman is a home run threat with the ball in his hands and is a serviceable pass-catcher as well. With Stewart potentially out in Carolina after this year, Coleman could step in and be a workhorse for us going forward. He is a one cut and go back with big play ability this offense has lacked. Has met with the Panthers already this off-season.

(3) 89th James Sample, S Louisville

6'2" 209lbs.

Big, physical, safety prospect that is relatively inexperienced due to injury and transferring from Washington. NFL body-type and gets downhill quickly in run support. Will likely need to sit and wait behind Harper but I could really see him pushing Harper or Boston as a starter by mid-season. Inexperience hurts his game right now, but Sample would have Coach Wilks salivating to get his hands on him and get him coached up. I believe he could be one of the better safeties from this draft when it is all said and done. Patience would be key with Sample but he'd be an immediate upgrade somewhere on special teams. 

(4) 124th Laurence Gibson, OT Virginia Tech

6'6" 305lbs.

Possesses ideal length and hand size for the position. Shows good foot-speed and lateral quickness but has some bad habits in his game that can be coached up. Would provide valuable depth at the position and potentially could become a solid starter a year or two down the line if he can add strength. Will need to get stronger and improve his technique, but he has the physical traits and quickness to excel in the National Football League. Has met already with the Panthers this off-season.

(5) 161st Za'Darius Smith, DE Kentucky

6'4" 274lbs.

Big and powerful defensive end that is a good fit inside or outside in our 4-3 defense. Reportedly is a great team player and is an all-effort all the time type player that "plays like his hair is on fire." Not a great athlete and struggles getting low and bending, but he would be a good rotational piece with Ealy, Alexander, Addison, and Horton and could potentially develop into a situational pass-rusher. Has met already with the Panthers and seems like a Gettleman guy that will do the dirty work in the trenches for the betterment of his team. 

(5) 169th Justin Coleman, CB Tennessee

5'11" 185lbs.

Here is the Bene Benwikere of the 2015 draft. Undersized but tough nickel corner prospect that didn't run particularly well but repped 225 on the bench 20 times and was a combine top performer in the 3-come and shuttle drills. Aggressive corner that is physical at the point of attack and excels in zone coverage because of his instincts. Displayed the ball skills we covet with 10 passes defended and 4 interceptions in his 2014 college campaign. Played special teams in college as well. Has met already with the Panthers this off-season and if I had to guess one player that would end up in a Panther uniform from this draft, it is Coleman. Lacks ideal athleticism for the position but "the game is not played in underwear".

(5) 174th Chris Conley, WR Georgia 

6'2" 213lbs.

Freak athlete. One of the combine's top performers after running a 4.35 and posting a 45-inch vertical. Didn't have great college production on a run-heavy Georgia team but has the size and speed combo that may be too hard to ignore at this juncture of the draft. Would instantly come in and compete with the likes of Bersin, Boykin, Brown, and Ginn for a roster spot and playing time. Hands-catcher that shows the ability to adjust in the air and has good body control. Needs work as a route runner and too easily gets redirected and tossed around when corners get their hands on him. He may get drafted higher than he should because of his measurables. The Panthers recently met with Conley on campus.

(6) 201st Quayshawn Nealy, LB Georgia Tech

6'1" 235lbs.

Below average athlete but a very productive and experienced player in the ACC. Plays with good instincts and actually had quite a few interceptions throughout his career and could potentially succeed in a zone defense in the NFL. Always around the ball and may find a home on special teams if he can make the roster. Will struggle to get off blocks. Has met with the Panthers twice this off-season so interest may be there. 

(7) 242nd Martin Ifedi, DE Memphis

6'3" 275lbs.

Big and powerful end that should fit in a 4-3 defense if he can make a roster. Sub-par athlete by NFL standards but displays power and could be a solid run defender if he can latch on. Works hard and plays through the whistle. Effort guy that Gettleman may like. Diagnoses run plays quickly, possesses a good football acumen, and is coachable. 

Not bad.  If we're going 2nd round RB I'd prefer Ameer Abdullah myself, but I wouldn't be mad about Coleman.  The only pick I flat out disagree with is Conley.  Dude has brick hands.  Not lapses in concentration, not occasional dropsies, he seems to drop about everything that isn't a gimme.  Just going off what I've seen of him, though.  Haven't thoroughly researched him, I could be wrong. 

Not bad.  If we're going 2nd round RB I'd prefer Ameer Abdullah myself, but I wouldn't be mad about Coleman.  The only pick I flat out disagree with is Conley.  Dude has brick hands.  Not lapses in concentration, not occasional dropsies, he seems to drop about everything that isn't a gimme.  Just going off what I've seen of him, though.  Haven't thoroughly researched him, I could be wrong. 

I'd be happy with Abdullah as well. Love his game. 

Strong and Parker are better prospects and will possibly be available at 25. That said, if Gurley, La'el, Odighizuwa, Peat, or Beasley are still available, we'll nab them up instead.

I'd absolutely love Parker here I was just operating under the assumption he wouldn't be available. I like Strong as well just like Perriman a little better for this offense. 

I personally wouldn't be too crazy about this draft. I really can't get behind Perriman as much as I try and I wouldn't mind HB in the 2nd,  but I don't think Coleman is as good as some other HBs in the draft.

Not bad draft but two DE would mean we would cut or put a rookie on the practice squad. I would rather have Strong than Perriman. Coleman has shown interest from us so he could be a Panther but I would rather draft a RB in the mid rounds because of the talent available. I feel Gibson could be a 5th rounder. I love the Sample pick. Nice mock.

Archived