• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If it came down to Peat or Perriman....

MedellinHeel

Actually I agree with you in theory. I just keep hearing Gettleman espouse the virtues of BPA, which I really can't argue with. Depending on how everything shakes out, I could easily see Gettleman having Gurley as the BPA. I just don't think that Gettleman would consider any BPA a luxury pick, especially in the first two rounds where you have to hit that nail on the head. I just don't think that Gurley's health problems here and there are going to trump his talent in G-man's mind provided that Dr. Anderson gives him the thumbs up. Hopefully Gurley will be drafted higher (because i actually think he deserves it), and Gettleman won't be put to the test.  I'm sure Gurley will be looking like a mighty tasty morsel.

One thing that I would like to note is that you may not think RB is a priority this year, but Gettleman is probably thinking long term. In that sense, he probably won't view Gurley as such a luxury pick, as much as he deems Gurley a future game changing playmaker.

I am just not sure that Gurley fits that "Players in the first few rounds should be able to contribute immediately" mode.

Also not sure we should downplay his inability to stay healthy. Sure, most football players play hurt. But Gurley has never played a full schedule. That is a huge red flag for a 1st round pick.

Lastly, I am just not a big fan of using a 1st round pick on a player that is a "Future" playmaker. Especially at RB where you can usually get good talent down the line.

Gurley has talent, no bout adoubt it. I just happen to believe that we just have too many other needs to use a 1st on him.

I may be off on this, but it seems to me, undoubtedly due to busts in times past, that speed, and specifically 40 timed speed, is starting to be underrated.

For years and years it was overrated, a lot of that was due to Al Davis and his drafting, was due to drooling over how fast a player could run in his underwear, and other things.

In response to this overrating of 40 times, it seems we (fans, scouts, GM's) have started to go the other way.

Five years ago If Perriman runs a 4.2 he goes from fringe first rounder to at least being picked somewhere between 15-20. That's silly.

This year, he's still a fringe first rounder. Despite all this talk he hasn't moved up. If anything this 4.2 has hurt him. "Well he doesn't look this fast on tape" "who cares that he's fast, he can't catch". This is also silly, not equally silly perhaps, but silly nonetheless.

He ran a 4.2. It's not a huge deal, but it's a big one. It's shouldn't put him in the top 20, but it should put him in the first.

The reason he's not moved up is because GM's are scared. And I get it. Who wants to draft the next Ted Ginn, Stephen Hill, DHB etc?

He's a fast WR with Questionable hands: he could be Stephen Hill, but he could be Torrey Smith, who many on this board were clamoring for.

He could be DHB or he could be Mike Wallace, who in times past many on this board was clamoring for.

Who knows. I certainly don't, but I did want to take the time to say to Breshard Perriman, congrats, you ran a 4.2, that's still something special in my book, and I get the sense that Al Davis is somewhere with two thumbs up, agreeing with me.

My main question to everyone except PrometheanRunner (because I already know the answer) is have you actually watched much video on Perriman? I have. His "dropsies" are a bit exaggerated. He has occasional lapses in concentration, like most WR prospects do. The difference is he isn't a body catcher. Most guys coming out with "hands problems" are because they ... don't catch with their hands. They try to body catch, or hop catch. He doesn't. Perriman is a true hands catcher. That makes a big difference. And I'm not trying to say I'm in love with the guy as a prospect, he has deficiencies, but it seems he's getting slammed here by people who aren't actually informed. I think he's worth our pick if the top 4 WRs (Cooper, White, Parker, Strong) are gone and WR is where BPA is at for Gettleman. Perriman is just a hair below Parker and Strong, in my opinion. Maybe neck and neck with Parker.

Thats even more scary IMO.

When it comes to "coachability" it seems to me you could probably coach a guy to use his hands.

How do you coach a guy to concentrate?

Thats even more scary IMO.

When it comes to "coachability" it seems to me you could probably coach a guy to use his hands.

How do you coach a guy to concentrate?

You will probably disagree, and perhaps you will believe it coming from a coach more than me, but it is way more easy to teach a natural hands catcher to focus on seeing the catch in and securing it with his hands than it is to teach someone that naturally wants to catch with his body to catch with his hands, because the problems of focusing are compounded.

Why is Perriman getting so much hype? Because of his 40 speed? Peat all the way Inin this scenario.

How many WR's are his size, that explosive, that fluid and catch with their hands? 

Answer those questions and it should be easy to see how he will without question be drafted in the first round. 

I could ask the same question for those that prefer Strong: Why was he getting so much hype post-combine? Because he ran fast for a guy his size and jumped really high. If you actually go and watch this kid play, he doesn't play to his timed speed and he's stiff as hell in and out of his breaks. I liked Strong and he was my preference for the majority of this process, but props to FreeFua for really opening my eyes about him. Go and watch him play. Corners are on his hip like glue almost every time he makes a catch. He rarely gets separation. Rarely cleanly beats his man. Almost always catches back shoulder throws because ASU knew that timing route was the only consistent way for Strong to beat his man. Okay... so Strong has superior hands to Perriman. Fair. But he also is going to have an NFL DB attached to his hips everywhere he goes to knock those passes away. Every Kelvin catch for the most part is contested. The same will be true with Strong. I'd rather have Perriman who can actually get space on athletic ability alone. The route running improvements will come with coaching. Give me the guy that can beat his man over the top and run away from the field in the NFL. Literally all the brightest and best minds on prospects and the draft, Mayock, Brandt, Cossell etc. all agree Breshad Perriman's "dropsies" and route running problems are overblown and they all rave about his natural ability. Perriman is Julio Jones lite. Carolina has never had a 6'3 215lb freak at the receiver position that has produced in college and got better every year. Before just joining in on the popular opinion about his hands go watch him and I bet you change your mind.

I would take DGB over every receiver in this draft not named Amari Cooper, lord help us if we pass on him and he lives up to his potential. 

Unfortunately, part of his potential is being blacklisted from games due to acting like a monkeys ass.

That would be the only reason we'd pass him by.  A suspended player does you little good.

most draft media guys had Perriman as a 1st rounder before the combine. Mayock did, and Kiper had him going to the 49ers at 15 in mid february. people who do research on the draft, been knew about Perriman. he is a late 1st-2nd round guy in my eyes. Brandt, Consell, Lance Z all like his ability to be a good WR, and think he should come off the board in the late 1st. 

Archived