• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Voth's Latest - Comparing the Panthers a Year Later

CarolinaNCSU

Didn't we switch scouting agencies last year?

Yea, they went back besto(sp?). Dave was involved in besto long ago, giants used them over the other too. Dave did get to see other how the other system worked for one year, that could seen as a advance. True be told, I don't think there's a lot of difference. Its how you use the information they give. Still the panther scouts are the same guys form herniay era, no one was fired. I believe there's about six total, all dave said was he made minor changes to their ranking. My guess is dave took need out of the formula.

As the draft approaches and the initial waves of FA are over, figured it would be interesting to share Voth's latest look into the roster now, and the one from a year ago at this time.

Granted, a lot of these issues have already been discussed, but Voth does a great job going by positional groups, and IMO, showing the work Gettleman has put in that should have everyone at least a little excited for next season and the direction this team is going.

Link at the bottom, but I can't find much to argue with. For those too lazy to click, hint, we're better off than we were, with only 2 out of 12 positional groups being worse off in Voth's mind (DE and RB). Hard to replace Hardy in the draft, but Deangelo's departure may turn the RB group into the better category, if we wind up with a decent RB in the draft.

http://blackandbluereview.com/comparing-panthers-roster-2014-2015/

WHAT ?!?! WEVE CERTAINLY UPGRADE R SUNGLASSES EMOJI

I did the same thing essentially with the groups by giving them number grades (1 to 10) about a month ago

Example OT's were a 2 but now a 5 and on down the line.

So I agree we are a better team in almost every category with the exception of RB

The biggest thing we did this year was revamp our special teams and improve depth.

DE is a bit misleading because Alexander and Hardy were no shows.  If you are not taking an April 1 snapshot but looking at the entire season, we obviously improve in an area he says we are worse. 

Since NFL success is largely related to health, I like to look at the depth factor.  For example, who did we have behind our starting OTs last year (both got hurt)?  This year, with Martin, Oher, and Remmers, we have 3 OTs better than what started the season last year.  And then there is the draft.

Again, this is pretty impressive when you look at the Special teams angle. 

I disagree with the RB and Special Teams.  I think RB is a push/better and I think Ginn makes ST 1000% better.

I agree, but he was simply looking at K.,P, LS.

We are so much better than last year on special teams.  We have 4-5 special teams captains and aces from other teams on our roster.  I will go as far as to say that this unit could be the best in the NFL next year--they look that way on paper, anyway.

And I agree with you about RB.  Williams was 31 and done.  He had some emotional distractions with his mother, etc.  Stewart was injured. 

Why does everyone think we are so weak at RB now? Jstew lead the league in rushing over the last quarter of the season. This is the first off season that he's not having to deal with an injury or surgery. I think the future is bright for him for the next 2-3 seasons. I feel like there are plenty of backs out there to be had in free agency every year. I wouldn't draft a RB until the 4th round or later.

Compare it to the 12-4 roster. Not interested to see how we compare to a team that went 7-8-1.

I think it's comparable. 

WR2

OT

S

Need help.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this years squad.

I think it's comparable. 

WR2

OT

S

Need help.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this years squad.

All depends on the draft, we are a KB injury away from being fuged at WR. It's like the Steve smith years all over again. I am optimistic that we may have the best line of Cam's career.

I'd say that RB is better now than last year simply because Williams is gone. He was a great player for us, but all he did last year was underproduce and take carries from Stewart.

Damn you stole the post right from my fingertips. (I think that's the interwebz way of saying "you took the words right from my mouth...)

I completely agree. I understand where Voth is coming from though, as he's just comparing April 1st talent and not 2014 production.

All depends on the draft, we are a KB injury away from being fuged at WR. It's like the Steve smith years all over again. I am optimistic that we may have the best line of Cam's career.

Excellent point.

I can't imagine they pass up on a WR early. 

Been surprised before tho..

Archived