• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Voth's Latest - Comparing the Panthers a Year Later

CarolinaNCSU

As the draft approaches and the initial waves of FA are over, figured it would be interesting to share Voth's latest look into the roster now, and the one from a year ago at this time.

Granted, a lot of these issues have already been discussed, but Voth does a great job going by positional groups, and IMO, showing the work Gettleman has put in that should have everyone at least a little excited for next season and the direction this team is going. 

The Panthers’ roster isn’t yet good enough to make you confident Carolina can win the Super Bowl, or even beat the Seahawks. But it is better than it was last year at this time, and for a team that’s had limited money to spend while also planning for the future, the improvement is important to see.

To get a sense of now compared to last spring, let’s break it down by position and look at April 1, 2014 vs. April 1, 2015. Each group will get a BETTERWORSE or PUSH grade, plus some notes when warranted.

Link at the bottom, but I can't find much to argue with. For those too lazy to click, hint, we're better off than we were, with only 2 out of 12 positional groups being worse off in Voth's mind (DE and RB). Hard to replace Hardy in the draft, but Deangelo's departure may turn the RB group into the better category, if we wind up with a decent RB in the draft. 

http://blackandbluereview.com/comparing-panthers-roster-2014-2015/

I agree with all of it. RB position is a weakness for sure, as well as DE. I disagree that our roster isn't good enough for a SB or even beating the SeaHawks. we're only a couple pieces away. One of those pieces is still our OC though.zing!

If we are counting on the win streak towards the end of the season, we might be in for a surprise. We played terrible teams. We need to significantly upgrade the oline and WR position. Our dline and secondary also need help. I wonder what the excuse will be this time if we start losing games.

Don't agree with RBs being worse. Fozzy and D-Will are a push at least or one could argue Fozzy is better. And Stew's healthy this offseason so that's better than last year too. DE is clearly worse without Hardy but that's as of this point last year. Considering he didn't play at all except vs the Bucs, DE is improved with Ealy. We're a much improved team from last year's squad that went almost 2 months without a win.

If we are counting on the win streak towards the end of the season, we might be in for a surprise. We played terrible teams. We need to significantly upgrade the oline and WR position. Our dline and secondary also need help. I wonder what the excuse will be this time if we start losing games.

probably that you didn't complain enough

Not hard to replace Hardy in the draft at all given that he didn't play. And why shouldn't we feel confident in beating the Seahawks this year when we've been so razor close with 3 of the 4 coming down to the final minute and the last one coming down to the final quarter with a gimp Cam, no Star, and Bersin at WR?

We'll be better at EVERY position this year.

As usual Voth is spot on. I agree 100% about the DE position but I would argue that the DE unit is better now than the team we fielded in Game 3. Realize it's a roster comparison but I seem to put an asterisk next to Hardy.

Definitely think this is a big need. Problem is DE is not usually fixed immediately through the draft as it usually takes a while for that position.

OT is better on paper for sure but I feel like we've just polished a turd. Even though it's better I still think there is a lot of room to improve.

My overall takeaway is that Gettleman is attempting ( and succeeding) at improving the roster by evolution rather than revolution and by revolution I mean grabbing high priced guys in free agency. This team is better than it was last year at this time. With the addition of free agents I would argue it is better than it was in January.

Can't wait for the draft.

I'd have to agree with Voth. We can't predict the outcome of the season but what I'm pretty certain of is that there will be much more competition at some positions and some much needed quality depth. We'll also be younger. 3 things I think are key for a successful team and sustaining it.

This shows dave work within one year, he's earning that check.

I hate to keep bagging on herniay, the 2011(& 2009-2011) draft was one huge fail after 1st cam. Even his UDFAs where nearly always trash. Dave has found lester, horton, white, norwell, glanton, and brown. I'll bet in two years that's more than herniay had in 10 years. I remember hooover(don't know for sure), lane, and pig farmer carstens. Dave is even using the SAME FREAKING SCOUTS TOO..... plus one old head form a bad breakup in indy.

Looking forward to the draft and 2016 when the panthers are released form cap jail.

I hate to keep bagging on herniay, the 2011(& 2009-2011) draft was one huge fail after 1st cam. Even his UDFAs where nearly always trash. Dave has found lester, horton, white, norwell, glanton, and brown. I'll bet in two years that's more than herniay had in 10 years. I remember hooover(don't know for sure), lane, and pig farmer carstens. Dave is even using the SAME FREAKING SCOUTS TOO..... plus one old head form a bad breakup in indy.

Looking forward to the draft and 2016 when the panthers are released form cap jail.

It was also all the horrible trades mortgaging the future. Otah, Brown, and Edwards all busted.

Then you add in Richardson purposely tanking the 2010 season. Then Hurney wastes most of that cap room. It's put us in a big hole for talent and cap room that we're still climbing out of.

Didn't we switch scouting agencies last year?

Archived