• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curious as to why no Strong pre-draft visit.

top dawg

OK, perhaps I have missed the time and place that Jaelen Strong came to town or had a private workout with Panthers personnel. I started with the Huddle, then on to SB Nation and BBR, and apparently Strong has not visited yet. This is curious to me as he is being touted by Mr. Igo as one of a few strong candidates to be the pick (pun intended).

Now perhaps someone can correct me if I am wrong (because I believe that I read it somewhere) but wasn't Star Lotulelei the only guy that the Panthers have ever drafted in the first couple of rounds without a confirmed pre-draft visit or workout? Of course Gettleman has only been here a couple of drafts so far. That, his style to hold things closely to the vest, along with his drafting of Lotulelei may mean things are changing, but still. Lotulelei's fall into our laps was totally unexpected (except by a few, myself included particularly late), but Strong is not even a consensus first round talent, let alone a top five pick like Lotulelei was before his trumped up medical issue.

Again, the Panthers have had a history of drafting guys with confirmed pre-draft visits and work-outs in the first and second round from what I read before Gettleman came, and Star may be the only one EVER that we drafted in the first couple of rounds otherwise.

Yeah, this is what I saw: http://draftpanthers.com/2013/04/02/gettleman-strategy/

"If you really want to know who the Panthers may draft in the first two rounds, keep checking our Pre-Draft Visits Tracker. Based on the notes our staff has compiled, the Panthers have never drafted a player in the first two rounds who did not have a confirmed Pre-Draft Visit or Work-Out."

Edit: Some in fact remember us working out Star. I don't know whether it was "confirmed" by the Panthers or not, but, that's beside that point, this would be further evidence that makes me question why hasn't Strong had his day. Of course there is still time. It just seems like if he were the preference at WR, like has been expressed emphatically, then he would have worked him out by now.

Sometimes, the answer is already in the roster.

I personally see no difference between him and Stephen Hill. Btw, Strong has been slipping on all the latest mocks. I'm sure that there's a reason for it

Except in September Strong will be on the active roster of an NFl team and in the mix for a top 3 receiver on the depth chart.

I see loads of opportunity in Hill but he needs to show something.

Except in September Strong will be on the active roster of an NFl team and in the mix for a top 3 receiver on the depth chart.

I see loads of opportunity in Hill but he needs to show something.

U missed my point, probably due to my failure to articulate. I'm referring to size and speed. They're saying Strong has the same concentration issues when securing the catch at times as well. Their draft profiles are very similar and both projected 2nd rounders, and of course Hill was.

Bottom line is who really knows. I just really want Hill to come through for us, I'm rooting for him

Smokescreen......

I don't know, but I'm fairly sure in some way or another they have met/talked/tryout etc. Ricky was headed out west a couple weeks ago, besides you don't hear about every single vist.

I wouldn't bet my life on someone not finding out if there was actually some type of visit in this day of social media, but perhaps you're right. Maybe tape and a phone call sufficed.

I was a fan of strong until I read this yesterday. Now I don't know if I want the Panthers drafting him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2421862-why-jaelen-strong-does-not-belong-in-the-first-round-of-the-2015-nfl-draft

Yup been saying similar things about Strong since watching as many full game cut ups on him as possible. He isn't a fluid athlete. He runs poor routes. He is constantly failing to get separation and he always seems to have a corner draped all over him. I expect those things to continue at the next level. His athleticism pops when you look at his combine numbers, but it ends there for me. I was a huge fan of his early in the process but the more I watched the more I really wouldn't love the pick in the first round. He'll be an average #2 possession receiver and a decent red zone threat in the NFL and will likely always struggle to win vertically and will need to be more aggressive to win with corners draped all over him.

Archived