• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Voth talks up Melvin Gordon in the 1st

Mr. Scot

Panthers First Round Pick could be an RB not named Gurley

"Obviously, Todd is a great player. But I’m not 230 (pounds). We’re both fast. He’s a bigger back. I feel like that shouldn’t take away. He’s considered the special back and the rest of the class, especially me, we’re just another group of guys. I don’t find that fair because I feel like I’m a special back. I feel like I can do it all,” Gordon recently said, via U-T San Diego.

“I’m a playmaker. I can run the ball up the middle. I can run it outside. I can run the ball from the gun. I can do it all. I can catch the ball and make some plays; I’ve done it. … I think guys just automatically assume because I’m not 230 and I’m not straight bulldozing guys over that I’m not a strong runner, which is false. … I’m a special back, and I know I am.”

Besides questions about his power, there are some concerns about Gordon’s ability as a receiver and in pass protection. But it’s not like the guy stinks. It doesn’t matter what system you’re in — if teams are lining up 10 in the box to stop you, and you still nearly break Barry Sanders’ single-season rushing record, you’re doing something right.

While most consider Gurley to have a higher ceiling, there is a major factor in Gordon’s favor. He’s had a mostly clean injury history. Gurley is five months removed from a torn ACL.

Gurley could very well back up the hype that surrounds him. And if he’s still around when the Panthers are on the board at No. 25, general manager Dave Gettleman may immediately turn in his draft card with Gurley’s name on it. But if running back 1A is gone, don’t be shocked if 1B — Gordon — is the guy Carolina calls.

So we might draft a certain player.  Or maybe not

“I’m a playmaker. I can run the ball up the middle. I can run it outside. I can run the ball from the gun. I can do it all. I can catch the ball and make some plays; I’ve done it. … I think guys just automatically assume because I’m not 230 and I’m not straight bulldozing guys over that I’m not a strong runner, which is false. … I’m a special back, and I know I am.”

Thats a lot to print on the back of his jersey. 

Archived