• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nicks to Titans.

Jmac

If we are being honest the only one that isn't massively overrated on this board that you have listed is Jennings and that solely because he likes playing games on twitter too much.

lol at the inclusion of denarius moore on that list

all the hype surrounding him is essentially based on the fact that he's never had a quarterback worth a crap in oakland.  even then his career high in receiving yards and TDs was in 2012.  at least kelvin has done something to drive this "over hyping" that's allegedly going on.

And that may be, but personally, fwiw, I don't see this class as deep/talented as last year's.

Additionally, I don't see us investing that heavily in WR in the draft. Gettleman himself has said FA is there to fill needs so you won't have any come draft time and can take the BPA. We have the weakest, thinnest WR corps in the NFL and yet we have signed what, 5 defensive backs this offseason? Then WR, we signed Boykin and Ginn, lol. I think he has demonstrated what positions were 'of need', and WR wasn't one of them to this point.

Yes, we still have the draft, but I don't expect us to target WR. I just don't think Gettleman thinks it is a position of importance in how he wants the team to play,whereas I think the more talent/options you have at each position, the better your team is, regardless of how they're utilized.

I think a lot of Gettleman's "fill needs through FA to be able to go BPA in the draft" talk is just that, talk.  Every team tries to go into the draft with as few glaring holes as possible, but we went into Gettleman's first draft in Carolina with a MASSIVE need at DT.  What'd he do?  Double dipped and went DT in the 1st and 2nd rounds.  We went into last year's draft with a MASSIVE need at WR.  What'd he do?  Took a WR in the 1st round.  I don't think it's a coincidence that his early picks have been at positions of need.  Gettleman wants high draft picks to be impact players immediately.  While most didn't see that in Ealy, Gettleman knew then that Hardy was playing his last season in Carolina.  He didn't anticipate Ealy having to play as big of a role as he did, but I think he felt all along that Kony Ealy would be penciled in as a starter for the 2015 season.

And that may be, but personally, fwiw, I don't see this class as deep/talented as last year's.

Additionally, I don't see us investing that heavily in WR in the draft. Gettleman himself has said FA is there to fill needs so you won't have any come draft time and can take the BPA. We have the weakest, thinnest WR corps in the NFL and yet we have signed what, 5 defensive backs this offseason? Then WR, we signed Boykin and Ginn, lol. I think he has demonstrated what positions were 'of need', and WR wasn't one of them to this point.

Yes, we still have the draft, but I don't expect us to target WR. I just don't think Gettleman thinks it is a position of importance in how he wants the team to play,whereas I think the more talent/options you have at each position, the better your team is, regardless of how they're utilized.

Panthers GM likes depth of receiving talent in draft

Count Panthers G.M. Dave Gettleman among the evaluators impressed with the quality of the wide receiving talent in the 2015 NFL Draft.

“Whatever you’re looking for, you should be able to find, and you’re going to get value,” Gettleman said Thursday at the NFL Scouting Combine.

And come on, you can't be serious with that analysis of Kelvin Benjamin.

I disagree with most of this but I will say this...I do view KB as a potential All Pro #2. It could be my inherent prejudice about what makes a #1 vice #2 but I see KB as the guy who takes advantage of the defense having to double the other WR. I could easily be wrong but I just see KB as an amazing #2.

I don't disagree with that at all. I agree he has that potential, but the key being, he isn't that yet, and he won't be until we have an actual #1 for him to compliment.

That is another source of contention I have with gentleman's approach to WR. Remember last season how he signed all those scrubs and then told us they would make up for losses as a unit? Lol... It doesn't work like that. You need a legit #1 and #2, not bunch of slot guys and #4s taking turns lining up in different spots and distributing the ball in the same fashion (unless you're the patriots).

Both have been vastly overrated by most on this board so far. Kelvin is gigantic and slow, with a serious case of dropsies. Philly is small, not as fast as people think, and injury prone. It is very likely that Philly is a career #3 and KB has yet to prove he's even a reliable #2. Yet, everyone here have deemed them the #1 and #2... That's not acceptable. Both could be great and in more appropriate roles if they had more talent around them, specifically a legit #1 or #2 who has proven themselves already (e.g.,Jennings, Moore, Nicks, Britt, even Crabtree).

But what am I talking about? WR was taken care of as soon as we signed all-world Jarrett Boykin and his blazing speed.

I'm the highest on Philly here and even I haven't ever said Philly should be our #2... And Kelvin has already proved he's a capable #1 having carried our entire wide receiver corps last year going against double coverage every play and walking over the legion of boom like no other wide receivers have. You're pathetic.

Gettleman spent over 10 years with the giants. If anything its the offensive line he'll end up neglecting. Giants always take offensive and defensive playermakers over o-line.

Gettleman spent over 10 years with the giants. If anything its the offensive line he'll end up neglecting. Giants always take offensive and defensive playermakers over o-line.

Honestly, this is my concern too.  He wasn't the Giants' GM so I'm not sure how much the Giants' drafting philosophy foreshadows regarding his own draft philosophy, but the Giants have always tried to build an OL out of mid and late round picks.  They won two Super Bowls, but a lot of their struggles (and Eli's) the last couple of seasons has been due to their OL being hot trash.

Both have been vastly overrated by most on this board so far. Kelvin is gigantic and slow, with a serious case of dropsies. Philly is small, not as fast as people think, and injury prone. It is very likely that Philly is a career #3 and KB has yet to prove he's even a reliable #2. Yet, everyone here have deemed them the #1 and #2... That's not acceptable. Both could be great and in more appropriate roles if they had more talent around them, specifically a legit #1 or #2 who has proven themselves already (e.g.,Jennings, Moore, Nicks, Britt, even Crabtree).

But what am I talking about? WR was taken care of as soon as we signed all-world Jarrett Boykin and his blazing speed.

wow... combination of exaggeration and sarcasm....

I'll call it... sarcaggeration.

"vastly overrated?" KB had a 1,000 yard career, with 9 TD's. There's nothing inflated about his stats. Yes he dropped some balls... but I wouldn't call it a "serious case"....  We had a receiving core with two receivers (Greg Olsen with 1,008 yards rec.) KB led those receivers in TD's and did so in tight spots... and against top notch DB's (see Seattle.) ... As a rookie. Saying that he isn't a #2 receiver is silly.

Im certainly not sold on Philly as a #2. So I agree there... But Ted Ginn and Cam have great chemistry and he knows the offense. Our receiving core is already better than it was last year. We will address the WR position in the draft and build from there.

Archived