• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 - Carolina Panthers Select Shaq Thompson

Jeremy Igo

User Actions
 Following
5Dsf0gd5_bigger.jpegBlack & Blue Review@BlackBlueReview

RR explaining how Thompson match up against Jimmy Graham-type guys in nickel and also be 3rd LB in 4-3.

Jimmy not in the fuging division anymore Ron give me a better fuging excuse

Yeah ... to rep the NFC in the Super Bowl were going to be needing to beat a team called the Seattle Seahawks

Not a fan of the pick, but I also didn't like the Beason or Luke picks at the time.

Would've really really liked Landon Collins.

Shaq is better in coverage than Collins.  Way better feet and hips. 

I assume he starts at safety then moves to OLB which he stated himself he wanted to play in the long run. On the other hand, could the reason that we only played 2 LBs in our base set be that we didn't have a Shaq to matchup with a quick tightend in 2 TE sets so we had to sacrifice a LB to bring in speed? If so, I think we just solved our problem.

Gettleman's BPA > Mayock's BPA

Gettleman had Thompson rated higher.

You can't go by media rankings.

Everyone's BPA is different. Pundits thought Kelvin was overdrafted last year, too.

"Highest rated available" on the NFLN or ESPN big board mean a whole heaping pile of jackshit.  The only board the Panthers care about is Gettleman's board.

I'm coming around to the pick. Just really wanted Cam to have a damn legit WR on the opposite end.

We're not going to ask a rookie to learn two different positions.  I know it sounds simple, but what you've suggested is just way, WAY too much to ask a rookie to take on.

It's exactly what were going to do. We don't actually use a 4-3 set very much, we run the nickel a lot. He'll be at SS most of the time and a LB sometimes. He's a perfect fit for our defensive scheme.

I'm... Cautiously optimistic. I'm not sure Shaq even has a position. In RR & Gettleman's pressed, they're even sounding like they don't know (well, um, we'll see... McD can get creative...)

That being said, I feel like this pick is a boom/bust. If he works out, it'll be like TD never left (when he does). If it doesn't, we'll think about this pick when we're looking back on a team that had needs and took a Joker.

I said "meh" in the Draft thread. I stand by that. Kid could be great, but I think it was a reach for the first round. Could've traded up in the second or hell ... maybe got him in our regular spot. I hope he turns out to be a superstar.

No debating needed with this post, but ask yourself this: had we not had a thread on the kid and had he not had that dinner with the FO ... how would you have felt about us picking him tonight?

Archived