• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers trade up to 9th pick of second round - select Devin Funchess

Montsta

Still available at that spot in the 3rd round:

La'el Collins OT - LSU

T.J.Clemmings OT - Pitt

A bunch of good RB's (hopefully we can still grab one late)

La'el Collins and his reps have decided if he's not selected tonight he will not sign a contract with a team and will renter draft next year

-Schefter

Very few who?

Media guys, right? It'd have to be since you have no clue where any of the other actual teams had him rated.

Your argument is based on the words of guys whose opinion means nothing.

Clearly you just like to argue. So I'll leave after this. My point has nothing to do with Mel Kiper, John Gruden, Trent Dilfer, or any other analyst. My point is that the BPA argument is overly simplistic if you can't understand this example:

-you see an under-the-radar player that you LOVE

-he fits your system perfectly, he tests well with you, you live his upside...you WANT this guy

-he has very little buzz, the "analysts" aren't talking about him higher than the late rounds, none of your peers seem to be crazy about him either

-so he's super high on your board...and he's your BPA in the 2nd.

You take the guy in the 2nd? Our do you look around, see what others are saying, what the analysts are saying, what the other scouts are saying? Do you draft a guy in the 2nd if there is a reasonable chance you could get him in the 5th?

That is my only point on the BPA stance. I would've been very happy with Shaq and Funchess if we didn't give up that 3rd.

Clearly you just like to argue. So I'll leave after this. My point has nothing to do with Mel Kiper, John Gruden, Trent Dilfer, or any other analyst. My point is that the BPA argument is overly simplistic if you can't understand this example:

-you see an under-the-radar player that you LOVE

-he fits your system perfectly, he tests well with you, you live his upside...you WANT this guy

-he has very little buzz, the "analysts" aren't talking about him higher than the late rounds, none of your peers seem to be crazy about him either

-so he's super high on your board...and he's your BPA in the 2nd.

You take the guy in the 2nd? Our do you look around, see what others are saying, what the analysts are saying, what the other scouts are saying? Do you draft a guy in the 2nd if there is a reasonable chance you could get him in the 5th?

That is my only point on the BPA stance. I would've been very happy with Shaq and Funchess if we didn't give up that 3rd.

You say you're not talking about the analysts, and then you cite them as part of your argument. Smooth.

The point I'm making - that you're not getting - is that you have no clue where anyone had these players rated. And the only people you can cite to support your argument are media guys whose opinion is their own. Guys who actual team people, by the way, commonly use to spread misinformation.

You've got nothing to back up your argument, dude.

Kind of amusing were getting a lot of criticism from other teams for reaching after Gettleman's BPA charade.

Feels like a lot is starting to be explained on why nobody would give him a job. Stubborn, arrogant.

The Smitty NH'ers are definitely drawing their line in the sand this time.

You say you're not talking about the analysts, and then you cite them as part of your argument. Smooth.

The point I'm making - that you're not getting - is that you have no clue where anyone had these players rated. And the only people you can cite to support your argument are media guys whose opinion is their own. Guys who actual team people, by the way, commonly use to spread misinformation.

You've got nothing to back up your argument, dude.

Also, ROFLAMO at someone suggesting that an NFL GM even slightly consider "buzz" coming from ANY analysts....

rofling.gif

Kind of amusing were getting a lot of criticism from other teams for reaching after Gettleman's BPA charade.

Feels like a lot is starting to be explained on why nobody would give him a job. Stubborn, arrogant.

Lol at "other teams" when referring to casual fans of other teams. I don't think either pick was a reach.

I like that he's stubborn enough to stick to his philosophy that has worked pretty well since he arrived.

Lol at "other teams" when referring to casual fans of other teams. I don't think either pick was a reach.

I like that he's stubborn enough to stick to his philosophy that has worked pretty well since he arrived.

Yeah, lol... I can't seem to find an actual employee of another team criticizing us.  I'll keep sweeping the interwebz in search of such comments though...

Gettleman already said we didn't need more picks... He sacrificed two in order to target a guy he saw as being vulnerable to being swiped before our pick. 27 picks went down after ours until a WR was taken. I think we made a solid move

I think the fact that another 27 picks passed before a WR came off the board is pretty strong evidence that the NFL collectivet felt there was a talent gap between Smith/DGB/Funchess and the next tier. I highly doubt Funchess would have made it to 57 - we have multiple guys on staff who are paid a lot of money specifically gather Intel on what other teams are thinking. Sounds like Gettleman thought the Saints were going to take Funchess. I'm glad they didn't have the opportunity (but I still wanted Fisher more, oh well).

Considering how this draft played out (everyone I would have wanted in the 3rd was gone by our pick) I am completely fine with the trade now...it's just hope for the best since I wouldn't have been in position to get what I would have done anyway so maybe Gettleman is really that good.

But I thought that we only had first round grades on Humphries and Thompson? Oh well. I am glad that Gettleman got his guy.

There are tiers within the first round in the vertical board. So Humphries and Shaq were the two highest guys left and were in their own tier when we picked. Sounds like there was another (lower) tier of first round grades - five of them. And they started going early in the second round. Likely the Smiths and Funchess were in that tier.

Archived