• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Slow 40s and the Panthers

If Funchess balls this season, it'll be crazy to see how many teams really do get caught up in 40 times and other measurables at the combine. The panthers.com article about Gettleman sheds some great light on this. How many teams don't do the extra work or don't care about the work that shows these kids' actual playing speed and abilities? It's weird. I think the evidence from last draft shows it, but I think Funchess is an even better, bigger bet by Gettleman in believing in these other traits that other teams either don't see or don't give the proper weight.

Also something weird: These other teams don't know how to use guys or get frustrated by their tweener status. But we have clear visions for these players and how they fit. We value this versatility. Not saying we're the only team, obviously the Seahawks do as well, and I'm sure other teams to varying degrees. Maybe it's more the TV analysts who are the frustrated ones. But seriously, it seems other teams aren't willing to think outside the box on these guys and I wonder why not. 

I think this is a big draft to prove Gettleman's worth as an evaluator. These picks are more about us as a specific team and our coaches, teammates, and scheme. These are tailor made picks for us and for many outsiders they are both of questionable value. It'll be really exciting to see what happens this season with these guys.

Joe Adams ran a slow 40 too. The difference is USDA BEEF. 

I watched some youtube videos of Funchess (im an expert I know). He's more explosive than Kelvin. He jumps higher, has sudden movement, and agility. He's a threat after the catch and his upper body is stacked. Just watching him play in college reminds me of Terrel Owens. 

He measures bigger than TO but he has the same bull in a china shop look when he runs into the secondary. 

When we picked him I was mad because I really wanted a Lineman but I get it. And I'm starting to like it.

I've read a lot of predraft profiles on the guy so I too am an except and they tend to point out his lack of after-the-catch ability. 

You guys aren't getting the op, I know these guys play plenty fast enough just wondering why they're combine 40 times are so much slower than what they can actually do at pro days.

There's no one reason.  It's different in each case.

You've been reading too many PanthersUnited threads.

He he he.  I will give PantherUnited credit for a few things.  He is consistent and seems to have a thick skin.  He put his nuts on the chopping block about Thomas and was right.

And he seems to love his Panthers and talking about them with us. 

But yeah, some of those threads....jeez.

First of all, 4.64 is not slow for a LB.  (Our LBs are actually faster than our CBs).  But you have a good point.  However, we are finding value in tweeners and combine under performers.  The reason I (and some of you) were horrified when Thompson and Funchess's names were announced is because we studied the reports where these players were devalued by the "experts".  However, lets look at what we actually got/did:

Thomas:  We upgraded a weakness on our defense.  Klein lacked cover skills and had to be removed from the field after first down.  Thomas is a baller--a playmaker on defense.  He has game speed.  A bit undersized and a bit of a tweener.  "Experts" can't handle it if they can't put a player in a box and label him.  They do not know what a team might do with a player like that, so they devalue that player.  No biggie.  Thomas has first-round talent. 

Funchess is also a tweener who had a slowish combine and some pedestrian numbers during the season.  He had a toe injury, something most don't take seriously because it is not an Achilles or knee, so he struggled a bit and ran a slow time at the combine. Come on.  If he is healthy, he is as good as Benjamin if he had Winston.  Nobody complained about Benjamin at #28 last year, so why complain about the faster Funchess at #41?

Gettlemen is finding value by knocking the dust and grime off the players.  I see what they mean when they say both had first round grades.  They do not read the same crap we read when formulating opinions.  

Have you not learned yet to appreciate what Gettlemen and Co. do?

I've read a lot of predraft profiles on the guy so I too am an except and they tend to point out his lack of after-the-catch ability. 

I'm sure the stuff you read was just as qualified as me. The one thing I will say is it was a miracle when a QB got him the ball. Forget hitting him in stride. He had lot's of awkward catches that could not be turned up field. But when he had the time to turn he was shifty, albeit against college secondaries.

Archived