• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Panthers had most underrated offseason of any team"

SCP

Galko's second tweet is the question that we can only answer with time. I know they liked Shaq but given the need at LT - would trading up two spots have been worth it? If Oher pans out it is a moot point. And Humphries might not be that good.

Personally, I felt on draft night that we gambled on Humphries not going to the Lions/Cards and got burned. Not the worst gamble to be honest - I didn't think the Cards were going OT. Denver seemed to think the Cards wanted Shane Ray and that makes sense to me. That's the way it breaks sometimes. Shaq's a pretty great consolation prize.

And I feel we made the right move not going for Humphries. I'm more comfortable with betting that Oher will return to the level of play he showed he was capable of with Matsko in Baltimore, especially after getting those bone spurs removed from his foot recently. The sucker bet in my opinion is betting that Humphries will play like a 1st rounder when he only started 19 games in college and played those at a very light weight for an NFL level lineman. He'll need a year to develop and that makes him more of a 2nd rounder to me than a 1st.

There was NOT ONE LT in this draft who was plug and play. Every one is going to be pushed inside to guard or RT for the first year or two. So Oher was going to be our LT no matter who we drafted. There have been very few rookie starters @ LT recently who had any immediate success. Atlanta drafted one last year @ #3 and he graded out worse than Bell so they had to move him to guard. The most important trait for this line is run blocking. If we can run the ball and Cam can use play-action passes, we'll score enough points to win any game.

I was glad Ariz. took Humphries @24, Shaq gives us tremendous versatility to be in base or nickel w/o substituting. With so many teams going to no huddle to create formation mismatches, we will be able to counter be making alignment/assignment adjustments with the same team on the field. I think this will come to be seen as a Gman/RR genius move

There was NOT ONE LT in this draft who was plug and play. Every one is going to be pushed inside to guard or RT for the first year or two. So Oher was going to be our LT no matter who we drafted. There have been very few rookie starters @ LT recently who had any immediate success. Atlanta drafted one last year @ #3 and he graded out worse than Bell so they had to move him to guard. The most important trait for this line is run blocking. If we can run the ball and Cam can use play-action passes, we'll score enough points to win any game.

I was glad Ariz. took Humphries @24, Shaq gives us tremendous versatility to be in base or nickel w/o substituting. With so many teams going to no huddle to create formation mismatches, we will be able to counter be making alignment/assignment adjustments with the same team on the field. I think this will come to be seen as a Gman/RR genius move

I 100% agree. This what defenses are evolving to and we are there now. Still need better safety play but who knows what we will get this year?

Ive known Trapasso for about 15 years, grew up playing baseball with him. The amount of research he puts in forms a very unbiased opinion on teams I think, so I value his opinion more than others. He knows his poo otherwise he wouldn't be working for CBS Sports and NFL.com.

But we were loaded with extra picks...until we traded them away. Also, while Shaq might be TD insurance I don't think he's going to be backing anyone up. At least I hope not.

He better not be backing up anyone. He better be on the field 60% to 80% of the defensive snaps. You do not take players and sit them out of games in the first round.

Same for Funchess and Williams. They all better have a majority of the plays at their position if you take them in the first round or trade up for them in the first 3 rounds.

Archived