• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

First Look - Devin Funchess

Jeremy Igo

I don't know what it is, but I've got the weirdest feeling that Funchess is going to explode for us and be the perfect WR for Cam. It's going to be hard for me to contain my excitement about him after I've built him up in my head since last week. 

KB was pretty great for a rookie last year, but if he ends up being our #2, I won't hate it. 

I guess to clarify my earlier comment about WR 1 and WR 2 I should clarify what those numbers mean to me (besides not much). The WR1 (in my opinion) is considered the Z wide receiver. This position is the WR that is usually the one who is off the line of scrimmage (allowing for a little buffer to avoid jamming). This guy is the one who is your "best" guy. But none of that is in stone. WR2 being the X receiver who is lined up on the opposite side and on the line of scrimmage.

I see KB as liking, inviting and even wanting jamming in press coverage against him because he is so physical. Even Bene said on the podcast that KB and Mike Williams were the only receivers he's ever seen that liked being jammed. To me that makes KB the X receiver. Leaving Funchess as the Z receiver.

So while saying 1 and 2 kind of implies best and 2nd best, to me, it's really about how they line up and how their game is different. I'm not saying KB isn't as good as Funchess. Hell..I don't know if he is or isn't (Funchess hasn't seen a single snap yet). I'm simply saying that I see KB as a natural X/WR2 receiver.

Hopefully this year they both explode and form an amazing tandum regardless of where they line up.

• Pie 7