• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

That Other Panther Receiver....Jarrett Boykin

SetfreexX

So it's your opinion that Brown is better than Boykin, and that Boykin has no chance to out perforn Brown in TC?

I'm not saying what will happen either way, I just don't

Feel that the outcome is as obvious as you seem to believe.

Read what I post.

I'm trying to prove the point that it isn't obvious that Boykin is clearly better than Brown. Come training camp anything could happen, I just know a lot of Brown haters could be disappointed.

I'll play along.

Jarrett Boykin Average receiving yards per season: 243 yards.

Corey Brown Average receiving yards per season: 296 yards.

Jarrett Boykin rookie season: 5 catches, 27 yards.

Corey Brown rookie season: 21 catches, 296 yards.

A majority of Boykin's stays came from his second season. He then fell off dramatically in 2014.

Corey Brown has yet to enter his second season.

Red herring after red herring.

I love how some of you gloss over the YAC, special teams contributions and down field blocking.

I can play your game too. If you take the yards per reception plus the YAC, then Boykin is greater than Brown, not to mention that he is superior on special teams, and the vastly superior blocker.

Like last year when he had Cobb and Nelson?

If you are referring to last season, he hardly played at all (according to our very own PackersFan due to injury which immediately led to the emergence of Davante Adams, of course).  If you are referring to the year before, part of the reason why he put up almost 700 yards was due in part to the injury of Cobb.

In my opinion, based upon stats and the eye test, skills at special teams and blocking, Boykin is better than Brown (as I believe a lot of receivers are), but if Brown beats out Boykin I will be fine with it.  Likewise, I would think that you would be invested in whomever turns out to be better for the team.

If you've noticed, I haven't been posting nearly as much because I am ready for the competition to begin.  All the going back and forth about Brown, Boykin, Byrd, Bersin or whoever is all going to come out in the wash relatively soon.  At the end of the day, I just hope that the best people end up with the job, no matter what their names.  All these little penny ante pissing matches are really no count (as my grandfather uses to say) at this point.  The day for sarcasm will soon come to an end.

If we go into next season without any deep threat again expect our offense to struggle again. We need Ginn or Philly to start and have Funchess move around.

We can't let the opposing D to stack the box

You do realize that Funchess actually ran faster than Philly. His 4.47 at his pro day bested Brown's 4.51.

His 4.7 at the combine came when he had an injured foot.

It's the huddle. Fast receivers always equal good ones. Like David Gettis and Drew Carter!

Yes these two were both fast, but Carter was only fast. Gettis was a much better prospect all around, just one of the unfortunate ones that could not kick the injuries. I could understand the hype for him. 

Besides, there was a reason this organization kept him around year after year waiting on him to recover. You think that was just due to him being fast? Lots of guys are fast...

I do agree the Byrd hype is a little crazy, but the kid had a great first impression. I look forward to seeing him in the preseason.

You do realize that Funchess actually ran faster than Philly. His 4.47 at his pro day bested Brown's 4.51.

His 4.7 at the combine came when he had an injured foot.

Goodys responsed to this post and somehow was lost during after Igo cancelled the upgrade.

To paraphrase his argument he believes that Funchess pro day was not accurate because his pro day 40 time was clocked by stop watch, as opposed to laser timing at combine.

I'm not sure if that's accurate or not, I think I read where some colleges use automated laser timers, I'm not sure about Michigan. In my opinion it is irrelevant. If Devin was timed by stop watch, there were a selected number of officials timing him, and the use the average to post his official 40 time.

IMO 40 times are 40 times are a vastly overrated tool used to measure the potential ability of a wide receiver. I think cutting ability, route running, and vision are far more important traits for WRs to possess. I mean how many times is a receiver asked to run straight line for 40 yards, with no cuts or variations in the route?

Goodys responsed to this post and somehow was lost during after Igo cancelled the upgrade.

To paraphrase his argument he believes that Funchess pro day was not accurate because his pro day 40 time was clocked by stop watch, as opposed to laser timing at combine.

That's a stupid argument. If the difference is how fast a thumb can move a milimeter then he's fast enough and you're splitting hairs.

Archived