• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers OTA Notes - Week 2

Jeremy Igo

Cotchery is about 90% a lock.  He's the only real WR veteran on the team (Ginn doesn't really count in that aspect as he's still learning the position in his own right).  It would be down right shocking if Bersin made it over Cotchery. 

​I hear this a lot...that Cotchery's veteran presence is going to help him make the team, since we dont have other receivers with his kind of experience..

How far can being a veteran presence really take you?  If it comes down to him and one other guy, how much better does the other guy have to be before that outweighs the value of being a vet?  I feel like being a vet shouldnt make much of a difference..maybe if they are about equal, that could be the deciding factor.. I'd rather take the guy that has a better chance of catching the ball when you throw it to him.

Can't Ricky Proehl just be our vet presence for the group?

• Pie 1

​I hear this a lot...that Cotchery's veteran presence is going to help him make the team, since we dont have other receivers with his kind of experience..

How far can being a veteran presence really take you?  If it comes down to him and one other guy, how much better does the other guy have to be before that outweighs the value of being a vet?  I feel like being a vet shouldnt make much of a difference..maybe if they are about equal, that could be the deciding factor.. I'd rather take the guy that has a better chance of catching the ball when you throw it to him.

Can't Ricky Proehl just be our vet presence for the group?

​Valid point, but honestly I think only DG and RR can answer those questions.  How comfortable are they not having a veteran WR on the field during game day?  Proehl can't do nearly as much from the sidelines as a vet WR can do in the huddle.

• Pie 1

As a State fan, I love Cotchery here, but could Ginn not provide that 'vet' presence and allow someone else that can contribute more, to take Cotch's spot?  If nobody else can overtake Cotchery, then I'm good with him on the roster, but just wondering if Ginn and Olsen are enough of a vet presence.

• Pie 1

As a State fan, I love Cotchery here, but could Ginn not provide that 'vet' presence and allow someone else that can contribute more, to take Cotch's spot?  If nobody else can overtake Cotchery, then I'm good with him on the roster, but just wondering if Ginn and Olsen are enough of a vet presence.

​My personal opinion about Ginn bringing that veteran experience is no, he's does not fill that void.  I love the guy and think he's dangerous where ever he is on the field.  But in reality, he's still learning how to play WR.  He's been in the league for 8 years or so, but he's always been a return man first and a WR project second.  Most 30 year WR's have mastered the position enough to teach it to the younger guys, and Ginn certainly has not.  

Veteran leadership. 

It needs to be on the field.

If it could be provided by coaches, then there would zero need for any veterans on any team. 

Bersin has already proven to be a reliable receiver. All he does is catch everything thrown his way, and convert 3rd downs. Like Ricky Proehl did during his playing days. That's not good enough, the masses say. He better not make the team. Yes, cause we're so good we don't need good reliable receivers that'll grow with Can and the offense. 

We can't  the team keep both Cotchery and Bersin? Cause they aren't fast? Somebody better start calling every team in the league, and let them know they are wasting precious roster spots to talented, hard working possession receivers.

Edited by pantherclaw
  • Pie 1

Veteran leadership. 

If it could be provided by coaches, then there would zero need for any veterans on any team. 

Bersin has already proven to be a reliable receiver. All he does is catch everything thrown his way, and convert 3rd downs. Like Ricky Proehl did during his playing days. That's not good enough, the masses say. He better not make the team. Yes, cause we're so good we don't need good reliable receivers that'll grow with Can and the offense. 

We can't  the team keep both Cotchery and Bersin? Cause they aren't fast? Somebody better start calling every team in the league, and let them know they are wasting precious roster spots to talented, hard working possession receivers.

​I completely agree that veteran leadership on the field is extremely valuable..provided that those vets are able to produce as well as the younger guys can..  If you have a vet that can still play at a high level, then he becomes even more valuable.. But if they cant produce like the younger guys, is it really worth it?  

Very rarely do you hear of a team that is trying to get older.

Edited by EightyNine

To say cotchery isn't producing would be living in denial. 

He has never been a true number one or number 2 receiver in his pro career. So stop expecting more from him. The coaches and the team love him, but fans will say anything to throw trash at him.

Edited by pantherclaw

To say cotchery isn't producing would be living in denial. 

He has never been a true number one or number 2 receiver in his pro career. So stop expecting more from him. The coaches and the team love him, but fans will say anything to throw trash at him.

​Not sure if you thought I was saying that Cotchery hasnt produced or cant produce.

My statement was simply a response to others assuming that Cotchery will make the team based on the reasoning that he is our veteran presence for the WR group.  I think that if he is going to make the team, it will be because he is better/more dependable than some of the younger guys.  Not just because he can give the younger guys some tips or guidance.

• Pie 1

​Not sure if you thought I was saying that Cotchery hasnt produced or cant produce.

My statement was simply a response to others assuming that Cotchery will make the team based on the reasoning that he is our veteran presence for the WR group.  I think that if he is going to make the team, it will be because he is better/more dependable than some of the younger guys.  Not just because he can give the younger guys some tips or guidance.

100% agreed.

Veteran leadership. 

​I really think that people are trying to compensate for Bersins lack of skill by saying how 'reliable' he is. He made more than 1 mistake as a receiver that cost us last year and i have a hard time seeing why he should make the roster over guys like cothery, boykin and hill

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000420442/Week-9-Saints-vs-Panthers-highlights

1:15 in this video comes to mind.