• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brenton Bersin continues to impress

Jeremy Igo

​Bersin had 13 catches for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jason Avant had 201 yards and 1 TD with us, another 152 with the Chiefs.

Cotchery had 580 yards and 1 TD.  

So according to stats, no, no he wasn't better and you couldn't argue he was better.  

​You really hate bersin, don't you? haha

​You really hate bersin, don't you? haha

I just think someone with some type of potential should be there at 4.  Bersin has a great work ethic, cool story.  In the end, he's mediocre.  Any team with 3-4 solid receivers, he would be a TC body, and they wouldn't be talking about him.  He would be nothing more than a practice squad player.  

Edited by nctarheel0619

​Bersin had 13 catches for 151 yards and 1 TD

Jason Avant had 201 yards and 1 TD with us, another 152 with the Chiefs.

Cotchery had 580 yards and 1 TD.  

So according to stats, no, no he wasn't better and you couldn't argue he was better.  

​Like most stats..those are sort of meaningless without some context.

Compare those numbers with targets, snaps played, *games* played and then you have numbers that mean something...even if they still need to have some common sense applied to them.

As a receiver (because I choose to forget that his punt returning actually happened) I don't remember watching the ball headed his way thinking "oh poo he's not going to catch that".  Contrary, really, I usually believed he would catch a catchable ball that was sent his way.  I did not think the same about Avant or Cotchery (both of whom had waaaaay more opportunity than Bersin throughout the year).

Bersin was what he should have  been - a consistent option and, most importantly, someone Cam was comfortable sending the ball to in a pinch.  I wouldn't be upset to see him back with the team as long as he's not a punt returner or for some reason running routes that really need to go to smaller, faster receivers.

• Pie 2

I just think someone with some type of potential should be there at 4.  Bersin has a great work ethic, cool story.  In the end, he's mediocre.  Any team with 3-4 solid receivers, he would be a TC body, and they wouldn't be talking about him, he would be nothing more than a practice squad player.  

​I didn't realize he was in discussion for the 4? I thought it was pretty much assumed that the top four were KB, Funchess, Brown, and Ginn? 

Don't be shocked if Bersin is kept in favor of Cotchery. He has been getting more first team snaps. 

The Huddle would celebrate. Cotch and Bersin are pretty equally dissed around here. I think both are good in their own way, but Bersin has youth on his side, and the Panthers are obviously in the midst of a youth movement. 

Compare those numbers with targets, snaps played, *games* played and then you have numbers that mean something...even if they still need to have some common sense applied to them.

As a receiver (because I choose to forget that his punt returning actually happened) I don't remember watching the ball headed his way thinking "oh poo he's not going to catch that".  Contrary, really, I usually believed he would catch a catchable ball that was sent his way.  I did not think the same about Avant or Cotchery (both of whom had waaaaay more opportunity than Bersin throughout the year).

Bersin was what he should have  been - a consistent option and, most importantly, someone Cam was comfortable sending the ball to in a pinch.  I wouldn't be upset to see him back with the team as long as he's not a punt returner or for some reason running routes that really need to go to smaller, faster receivers.

​Shula did have Cotch running go routes, and for some reason had Cam throwing to him.  So it wouldn't shock me in that regard, if he did make the team and had him doing a go route.  HAHA.  

I think I'm the only one who remembers his lack of separation and constant tipping the ball to defenders.

Lots of possession receivers aren't known for separation. Players like Welker, Edelman, and Cotchery have to find crafty ways to get open. Bersin's 40 times are comparable to those guys and he's bigger. As far as "constantly" tipping the balls to defenders, I can only recall one instance.

Lots of possession receivers aren't known for separation. Players like Welker, Edelman, and Cotchery have to find crafty ways to get open. Bersin's 40 times are comparable to those guys and he's bigger. As far as "constantly" tipping the balls to defenders, I can only recall one instance.

​Welker and Edelman are great at getting separation.

• Pie 2

[...]

​Do we have any stats geeks here who can give us the breakdown on snaps played, targets etc., or can someone point me where I can find those.  (I don't have any special access subscriptions, i.e. to PFF).

I just think someone with some type of potential should be there at 4.  Bersin has a great work ethic, cool story.  In the end, he's mediocre.  Any team with 3-4 solid receivers, he would be a TC body, and they wouldn't be talking about him.  He would be nothing more than a practice squad player.  

​Disagree.  I think we already have 4 solid receivers (KB, Funch, Corey Brown, Ginn) if Funchess lives up to expectations. (and of course we have Olsen too..., perhaps our MOST solid receiver, though not a wideout) I think we're talking about him because there's a pretty fierce competition for the last 1 - 2 roster spots this year and we're all interested to see who makes the cut and why:

Veteran or youth?

Speed or Possession receiver?

Flash or solid & dependable?

• Pie 1

​Bersin has shown the size to compete, the speed to get away from people, and has shown continual improvement since he's been here.  Sounds like potential to me.  What makes you think he's reached his ceiling?

Edited by Jase
  • Pie 3