• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Today's Practice Skirmish

Jeremy Igo

This is offense v defense... Why would we be upset about that? There is roughly zero bonding or gelling that needs to take place between the two units; these guys will never be on the field at the same time. If anything, it shows that they are taking practice seriously. As long as we leave the haymakers at camp, *ahem Frank*, then I am fine with it.

​Maybe I missed it in the thread. I know you didn't see it, but who was involved in the first incident? Was the same two players both times?

Silatolu and Trusnik was the other one, but was broken up quickly.  Punches thrown in both skirms. 

I have played at several levels at more than one sport. Coached at the lower levels in baseball, soccer and football. And I still maintain that it is an immature undisciplined response by players who let their emotions control their judgement. Football is about the mental game as much as it is physical game, maybe more so. So while we can all say it is just guys being competitive, it isn't something to be overlooked or ignored. As you practice is how you play and undisciplined is undisciplined. You don't think it gets hot in Tampa  or Miami. That is why Rivera said it was disappointing rather than saying it is just guys being competitive. He knows what I am saying is true.

​Did you ever play football at a higher level than pee wee or middle school?

What you are saying is kinda true, it's not very mature to fight in practice, but that's just not how this sport goes.  I can hardly remember a practice without someone getting mad and throwing a teammate to the ground or pushing/blocking too long.  It's nothing.

I never got into any fights either in practice or in games when in high school, but my sister's boyfriend and I would sort of go after each other.  He was a RB and I was a DE and when the play came around my end, he would try to seek me out, especially if he was blocking on the play.  He was somewhat of an a-hole at times and thought he had to prove to me how tough he was.  Just made me go through his blocks just that harder.  Or tackle him a little more intensely than I did the other RBs.  I never got mad and I don't think he did either, but I do think it made both of us better.   But I could see how "hotter" heads could have taken it a step further.

I don't think an occasional skirmish in practice is detrimental just so long as the same players aren't always involved in throwing fists.

Of course the offense and defense need to bond with each other and believe in each other. Of course each unit will be closer to each other than they will be to a unit they are competing against but the offense has to believe the defense will make a play or pick them up and vice versa.  I can remember in 2010 when the offense was so awful that the defense knew that if they gave up 20 points or we got more than 7 points behind  we were going to lose. 

no I played football and I understand that fights happen and I've been a part of them. I'm just saying some people think it's good and some people think it's bad, but I really don't know what to think in that respect

Think of it like fighting with your brother.

You might beat the snot out of each other, but when it's done you're still brothers.

​Did you ever play football at a higher level than pee wee or middle school?

What you are saying is kinda true, it's not very mature to fight in practice, but that's just not how this sport goes.  I can hardly remember a practice without someone getting mad and throwing a teammate to the ground or pushing/blocking too long.  It's nothing.

​I played Football played through high school. I played soccer and tennis in college although soccer was not fully funded back then so it was a club sport.  Most of my coaching has been at the below 14 year old level mostly in rec leagues and some club levels.

The issue is that at each higher level players have to manage their emotions and learn not to let other players get into their head as every skill level improves.  Pushing or blocking too long is not the same as throwing a punch which is what happened in both of these skirmishes.  Sure fights happen and some coaches encourage it.  I remember a middle coach in basketball encouraging me and another player to actually physically fight one another for a position to find out who wanted the position more.  And lets be clear I had and sometimes still have a real issue with anger and usually was one of the main guys if there were any fighting going on.  But what I learned and what I have taught my boys is that is not what makes you win or successful.  If you are worried about the last play or what a guy did to you a few minutes ago it stops you from being in the game right now and focusing on what you need to do this play.

​I played Football played through high school. I played soccer and tennis in college although soccer was not fully funded back then so it was a club sport.  Most of my coaching has been at the below 14 year old level mostly in rec leagues and some club levels.

The issue is that at each higher level players have to manage their emotions and learn not to let other players get into their head as every skill level improves.  Pushing or blocking too long is not the same as throwing a punch which is what happened in both of these skirmishes.  Sure fights happen and some coaches encourage it.  I remember a middle coach in basketball encouraging me and another player to actually physically fight one another for a position to find out who wanted the position more.  And lets be clear I had and sometimes still have a real issue with anger and usually was one of the main guys if there were any fighting going on.  But what I learned and what I have taught my boys is that is not what makes you win or successful.  If you are worried about the last play or what a guy did to you a few minutes ago it stops you from being in the game right now and focusing on what you need to do this play.

​I agree with you, to a certain extent.  I just don't think it's a big issue.  Where I do take issue, is what SS did, and had done for a while here.  He had problems.

Personally, I would prefer it not to happen, but to each his own.

Archived