• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Thomas Davis Story You May Not Know

t96

Courtesy of Bill Voth, this is a must read.

Many are familiar with Davis’ inspiring comeback. Few are aware it wouldn’t have happened if any of the men who gathered at Bank of America Stadium in late September 2011 had doubted Davis. Instead, their faith changed the recent fate of the franchise.

“My mindset was ‘it’s over’ because it had never happened. No guy has ever gotten the opportunity. Not that they weren’t able to come back, it’s just having that opportunity. In this league, that does not happen,” Davis recalled.

“If they would have been like, ‘You put everything you had into coming back, we respect that and we appreciate it, but we have to go in a different direction,’ I would not have been upset one bit. I couldn’t have been. They stuck by me through all those injuries. They drafted me and gave me this opportunity to play this game.”

Some may have already heard this story before, but I'm sure there are some who haven't. This says a lot about Rivera and Richardson as well as Huddle-nemesis Hurney, and why the former two can bring us a Super Bowl as head coach and owner, respectively. And it's a big reason we are in such a great position as a team going forward (of course the bigger reason being our current GM). Yes, we didn't keep Hardy. Yes, we have the NFL logo at midfield. Yes, Rivera has used challenges at ridiculously stupid times. But none of that matters. What matters is that we have a team, not made up of individuals, but of gentlemen who are willing to take all the strength and ability they can muster and put it all towards achieving the ultimate goal as a team. With a GM who can bring us players with the ability and mentality to join the family and contribute to wins, we are in an amazing position right now to bring such an amazing man, player, and teammate, Thomas Davis, to the promised land. Fan support must be at an all-time high this year, from all over. I am joining the Roaring Riot as I type this right now and am saving up to be able to go to at least 4 regular season games and playoff games despite being stuck in the city of brotherly love. Everybody must buy into this and do everything in their power to get as many Panthers fans as possible, from every single part of the country, to every game this year, home or away. This is our time.

“To hear the owner say, ‘I’m willing to give you the opportunity if you’re willing to put yourself through it. I believe in you,'” Davis said, pausing to gather his emotions. “When the owner of the team says, ‘I believe in you,’ that was the only motivation I needed.

“I heard so many people telling me that I should retire. People saying, ‘You want to be able to play with your kids someday.’ But even bigger than all that, I heard this voice saying, ‘I believe in you.'”

That belief stemmed from more than Davis’ potential as a football player. After arriving in Charlotte as a typically immature 22 year old, he had grown into a family man deeply involved in the community. Davis’ story didn’t end because he deserved to keep writing it.

The Panthers believed in Davis when few teams may have done the same in a cruel business. But few men would have rewarded that faith as richly as Davis has.

As much as some hate it...got to give JR a lot of credit.   Also Hurney and Rivera...but JR had to believe.

TD is just awesome.

I always wonder if other teams/fan bases have this sort of relationship. Are we seeing our team through rose colored glasses? Probably so, at least a little bit, but you never hear these types of stories or hear other fans talk about the character of their team and organization. I truly love the fact that we fans hold our ownership (and he holds himself) to a higher standard than just winning football games. Of course we all want wins, but what will last is pride in the fact that these men who live and work in our community are top notch. Keep Pounding, Fellas.

I always wonder if other teams/fan bases have this sort of relationship. Are we seeing our team through rose colored glasses? Probably so, at least a little bit, but you never hear these sort of stories and hear other fans talk about the character of their team and organization. I truly love the fact that we fans hold our ownership (and he holds himself) to a higher standard that just winning football games. Of course we all want wins, but what will last is the pride in the fact that these men who live and work in our community are too notch. Keep Pounding, Fellas.

^ this 1000%

If It weren't for the character of this organization I wouldn't give two shits about anything football during the off-season. our team is proportionally more generous than other teams, more forgiving towards players who have shown remorse for off field mistakes, and promotes a family atmosphere that makes the player love playing Carolina. Loving playing here is called loyalty. Loyalty is a good thing for a team (so long as we never lose sight of the fact that the NFL is still a business and tough decisions have to be made at times).

Our fan base is unlike any other too. Say what you will about weak turnouts and lethargic wine and cheesers. Our fans are more hospitable towards visitors, our parties are peaceful and more fun, and dammit our food is better. 

Everything about this team reflects the states it represents. And like General Lee, I love my state(s). I am a proud Carolina boy and the Panthers make me proud to call them my team. My only hope is that the team culture doesnt change when JR goes home to the real Big Cat (what, you didn't know Jesus was a Panther fan? ;) Shame on you!)

Keep Pounding everyone. Off-season is almost over. Football is almost here!

Hurney was a putz.  Terrible GM.  He kept TD because he drafted him.  He kept TD because in reality it was the wrong thing to do at the time.  

It worked out and thank goodness we kept him.  I love me some TD but 99% of the huddle was saying he should retire after that 3rd tear.

Hurney was wrong even when he was right.  Just look how long it has taken a real GM to fix all of that mess.

Giving Hurney credit for anything is like when you guess on a multiple choice test and pass.  You aren't smart you just got lucky a few times.

Hurney was a putz.  Terrible GM.  He kept TD because he drafted him.  He kept TD because in reality it was the wrong thing to do at the time.  

It worked out and thank goodness we kept him.  I love me some TD but 99% of the huddle was saying he should retire after that 3rd tear.

Hurney was wrong even when he was right.  Just look how long it has taken a real GM to fix all of that mess.

Giving Hurney credit for anything is like when you guess on a multiple choice test and pass.  You aren't smart you just got lucky a few times.

He gave us Cam, Luke, Norman, TD, CJ, and Olsen. All core players of our team. And he was amazing in the 1st round his entire time as GM here. But yes he did suck at giving out contracts and anything after the 1st round.

He gave us Cam, Luke, Norman, TD, CJ, and Olsen. All core players of our team. And he was amazing in the 1st round his entire time as GM here. But yes he did suck at giving out contracts and anything after the 1st round.

Ok, so the hurndog wasn't a total putz. But...the guy sure was pushing the envelope.

Archived