• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Aside from LT, we dont have a single weakness on this team right now.

PanthersUnited

I feel good about special teams, there is only so much impact special teams can have. Ginn solidifies the return game, we got a new coach and I can't think of names but Gman signed a lot of players for special teams. Ginn replacing Bersin alone makes our special teams much better

special teams have a HUGE impact..........

I think ST will be improved (they would have to be by default), but the statement "there is only so much impact special teams can have" is something I don't agree with. I forget the exact stat, but horrendous special teams play last year (mainly on coverage, protection for the punter, and returns) spotted an average of 5 points to the opposing team. That is a HUGE impact.

Under Rivera, special teams have been at best only slightly bad and at worst apocalyptically bad. We'll see about 2015.

Depth impacts ST's directly.  For as long as Rivera has been here, we have had zero depth on this roster.  Add injuries to the mix and the first unit to feel the sting is ST's.  Once a guy becomes a starter then it gets really hard to keep him on ST's due to the injury risk.  Thats when you get grocery boys and Bersin returning punts and kicks.

We have, according to Olsen, stater talent accross the board.  Add to that the FA's specifically for ST's like Trusnik, Toddman and Ginn we have to be better.

Even if this WERE true... the problem with this is that the way we run our offense requires that you protect the QB, and the LT position is the most important to cover the blindside.

Our passing games runs plays where receivers need time to develop their routes. Even if it were true that we only had one weakness (which I don't agree with yet,) its a pretty glaring hole which can cost us games because it plays such a big role in how we run our offense.

Um I'd argue both safety spots are still weaknesses. Coleman and Harper both lack in coverage which is something that's hurt us over the last few seasons as well.

Hopefully someone steps up opposite of CJ on the other end. Alexander and Addison seem to be the early favorites for this. 

If Remmers is starting at RT that could be a weakness (really hoping Williams wins this job), he struggled in the playoffs. Funchess is a mystery right now, I feel like he'll flash at times though this season.

And of course like others have mentioned Shula... It's clear by now he simply isn't capable of adapting to anything. Forgot about Gano as well, I'll never trust this guy in clutch situations. 

We have solid pieces and I think this team is capable of winning but to say LT is our only weakness is a bit of a stretch.

Well Harper and Peanut are slow as Christmas so we're not exactly great in the secondary, but I do think this is the most well rounded team we've had in the Newton era. We don't have the gaping holes that past teams had, but then again you can't really know for sure until the season is well under way.

Um I'd argue both safety spots are still weaknesses. Coleman and Harper both lack in coverage which is something that's hurt us over the last few seasons as well.

I don't know that Coleman's skills in coverage are as shaky as you think. In limited snaps, he has racked up 10 INTs. Plus, his PFF grade last year was fairly acceptable, ranking 26/87 qualified players.

I can't remember what his INT looked like in SD last year but his 2 in KC vs SD (last game of the year) both came in hail mary type situations I believe. One at the end of the half and the other at the end of the game. Just going off memory so I could be wrong but just going off his INT's isn't a great way to determine HIS coverage ability. But nice to know he ranked 26/87 you're right, not as bad as I thought

Archived