• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle Daryl Williams?

Jeremy Igo

Williams is 335lbs not 327. No one is saying he can't play tackle. At a position where athletism is needed and the knock on the guy is he is not athletic enough to play his natural RT position, why slide him to the athletic LT position? 

Edited by CelibatePimp

I think you're struggling with the concept. What you have is some random list of tackles in the NFL. 

My statement was how many TOP-RATED tackles are over 320? My list was closer to the top of the talent at the tackle position. If it's just about listing tackles you might as well add Byron Bell who sits at 340lbs. 

i dont think there is anything to suggest being below 320 is ideal for a LT looking at a list of the top guys. Most are at least 320 of the better tackles.about the only top guys below 320 I can think of is Joe Thomas.

Williams is 335lbs not 327. No one is saying he can't play tackle. At a position where athletism is needed and the knock on the guy is he is not athletic enough to play his natural RT position, why slide him to the athletic LT position? 

is he better than Oher. Because we're talking about this season. That's all that matters. His weight doesn't 

Good lord, people.  The guy took a few snaps at LT during practice and evidently looked pretty decent - albeit against a DE who by all accounts has been having a rough camp.  Let's not blow it out of proportion one way or the other.

CelibatePimp, drink a beer or something.  Damn, man. What's tto lose by giving Williams a look at LT?  Remmers played solidly at RT last year and it's not like we have an All-Pro at LT.  There's absolutely nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain by giving him a few snaps there and see how he does.  I don't know why this surprises anyone.  After Williams was drafted, both Rivera and Gentleman said he'd get a look at both RT and LT.

As far as the not being a prototype LT thing goes?  Who cares?  Virtually every 1st round bust was a prototype at his position while virtually every late round steal succeeded despite not being a prototype, unless he slipped due to off-field issues.

Edited by LinvilleGorge

Here is the question:  Would Oher have done equally well, better, or worse?

Tomorrow, if I were coach, I would have Oher go against Ealy for 7 plays.

This is exciting.  I am pumped.  And for those who are saying, "People, it was only seven plays--keep it in perspective." We are watching plays from camp and trying to determine how good this team will be.  Nuggets and pieces is all we get.  But the exciting part is the fact that we might have a LT in the works behind Oher. 

This alone is reason for excitement.  No apologies needed.

Edited by MHS831

Does our coaching staff not have a right to see for themselves what abilities Williams may or may not have?

Some of you guys get waaaay too worked up over things that happen in training camp...did you just start watching football this year?

Does our coaching staff not have a right to see for themselves what abilities Williams may or may not have?

Some of you guys get waaaay too worked up over things that happen in training camp...did you just start watching football this year?

who got worked up? I'm not. Asking questions and getting worked up are not the same, at least where I come from. 

And LOL at did u start watching football this year? Child please. 

You should understand that the anxiety over LT is due to watching football LAST year, so the second question's answer is "no.'"  Secondly, the coaching staff looking at other option IS the reason many are excited--nobody claiming Williams to be the Left Messiah.

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1

who got worked up? I'm not. Asking questions and getting worked up are not the same, at least where I come from. 

And LOL at did u start watching football this year? Child please. 

You're not just asking questions though.  You're making statements based off of other people's evaluations of Williams before he even stepped into the professional ranks.  That isn't really that big of a deal, except that you're accepting those evaluations as the be-all, end-all truth....when all they are, are opinions.  

I want our coaches to evaluate every position and player.  I don't want them to feel like..."Well Mel Kiper said this kid wasn't good enough to play Left tackle, so why bother trying him out there?" 

• Pie 2

Good lord, people.  The guy took a few snaps at LT during practice and evidently looked pretty decent - albeit against a DE who by all accounts has been having a rough camp.  Let's not blow it out of proportion one way or the other.

CelibatePimp, drink a beer or something.  Damn, man. What's tto lose by giving Williams a look at LT?  Remmers played solidly at RT last year and it's not like we have an All-Pro at LT.  There's absolutely nothing to lose and potentially a lot to gain by giving him a few snaps there and see how he does.  I don't know why this surprises anyone.  After Williams was drafted, both Rivera and Gentleman said he'd get a look at both RT and LT.

As far as the not being a prototype LT thing goes?  Who cares?  Virtually every 1st round bust was a prototype at his position while virtually every late round steal succeeded despite not being a prototype, unless he slipped due to off-field issues.

Gotta have someone in the back just in case someone on the oline goes down for the season, I totally see where you are coming from and there job is to protect cam,

We dont have bell anymore all that matters,

• Pie 1

The weight conversation in here reminds me of the arm length debate for the LT spot as well.  Looking at some top LTs, most of their arm sizes are under that "ideal" length and many were ones overly dissected in the draft process.  

Gross, Joe Thomas, Roos, Levi Brown, Jason Peters...all under 34"

Peters, who is arguably the best LT in the NFL is 6'4, has 33" arms, and until this year would usually show up at camp around 340 (He's down to like 320 this year).    Hell, our LT for the SB squad was over 320 btw.  

Edited by davos