• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Official Panthers - Bills GameDay Thread

Jeremy Igo

Any thoughts on WR depth now?

KB, Ginn, Funch, Corey Brown, Cotch, Bersin, Boykin, Byrd

is how I rank them at the moment.

Boykin seemed to hold his own as a WR, but was he on ST?  Bersin was...

Mostly I'm just so darn thrilled we have Teddy Ginn back in Carolina Blue & Black.  Phew.  He adds so much to this offense plus the returns.

I haven't looked at the stats yet.  Did Mike Brown get any targets or any catch?  I don't recall hearing his name, but during the second half, the Bills announcers were ignoring the game on the field when the Panthers were on Offense and talking about junk.  A few times they even missed showing the action because they had some graphic up about Bills QB stats.  Ugh.  Listening to an opposing team's announcers is NOT fun.

Any thoughts on WR depth now?

KB, Ginn, Funch, Corey Brown, Cotch, Bersin, Boykin, Byrd

is how I rank them at the moment.

Boykin seemed to hold his own as a WR, but was he on ST?  Bersin was...

Mostly I'm just so darn thrilled we have Teddy Ginn back in Carolina Blue & Black.  Phew.  He adds so much to this offense plus the returns.

i think boykin was on punt coverage or kick coverage

Going for 2 at the end is not a riverboat Ron moment.  Most NFL coaches do that at the end of a preseason game to avoid overtime.  The announcers acted surprised but that was an obvious decision and is no indication of what would happen in a real game.

It was a good situation to practice a 2 pter though.

Our offensive approach, once again, worries me.

IMO, this offense is entirely too hard. Everything in the passing game requires Newton to hold the ball, the offensive line to hold their blocks, the WRs to run near perfect routes, and for Newton to make difficult, near perfect passes for no YAC.

Everything, outside of our 2 minute drill or up-tempo offense, is entirely too labored. 70% of our drop backs should be quick, easy throws to WRs/TEs/RBs in space. Instead, 70% of our drop backs are slow developing, low percentage plays that even when completed/successful leads to zero after the catch ability.

This is why I truly believe our offense will continue be inconsistent and wholly unreliable. Out of 16 regular season games, we will score 30 points...maybe once or twice, and have far too many games in the low teens.

We have go to figure out a way to get into a rhythm offense. If you look at the league's best offenses, with the very best and most accurate QBs, greatest WRs, and Oline, less than 25% of their drop backs are what the Panthers are attempting on 70%.

Our offensive approach, once again, worries me.

IMO, this offense is entirely too hard. Everything in the passing game requires Newton to hold the ball, the offensive line to hold their blocks, the WRs to run near perfect routes, and for Newton to make difficult, near perfect passes for no YAC.

Everything, outside of our 2 minute drill or up-tempo offense, is entirely too labored. 70% of our drop backs should be quick, easy throws to WRs/TEs/RBs in space. Instead, 70% of our drop backs are slow developing, low percentage plays that even when completed/successful leads to zero after the catch ability.

This is why I truly believe our offense will continue be inconsistent and wholly unreliable. Out of 16 regular season games, we will score 30 points...maybe once or twice, and have far too many games in the low teens.

We have go to figure out a way to get into a rhythm offense. If you look at the league's best offenses, with the very best and most accurate QBs, greatest WRs, and Oline, less than 25% of their drop backs are what the Panthers are attempting on 70%.

this sentiment needs its own thread. I agree 100% and said so eloquently too.

Overall thoughts on the game.  Not going to be too critical since it was only the first preseason game.

QB:  Not really a whole lot to talk about.  Cam played well once the o-line started to block, DA looked good.  Webb started out rough, but finished strong.  Is he eligible for the PS?

RB:  Fozzy didn't look good at all.  Need to wait and see how he does in the rest of the preseason games before we start to scratch him off.  But right now, his future doesn't look good, IMO.  Payne looked decent, liked what I saw from Todman, but Brandon has got BIG potential.  He needs more reps.

FB:  Where was Ward?

TE:  Did Williams play?  Really liked what I saw from Lucas.  If he continues to play like that, then it might be time to say bye bye to B. Williams.

WR - Ginn played great, KB has a chance to be the best receiver in the NFL this season, Funchess looked solid, Brown was super quiet, Boykin needs to get more reps, Bersin looked eh, Still don't get why Cotchery is a lock.  So he brings a vet presence. Shouldn't that only matter if the receiver is actually good?  I just feel that Cotch is easily replaceable.  As for Byrd, thought he played pretty good.  Played three series, got three receptions, two of which moved the chains, and 2 incompletions.  One was clearly his fault, but the other was a poorly thrown ball and well defended.  Still VERY early.  But knowing this coaching staff and how they feel about having a vet presence and their man crush on Bersin, Byrd is most likely heading for the PS no matter what he does. 

O-line - Eh, started out rough, but got their stuff together in the 2nd qtr.  Once they settled in, giving Cam time to throw, allowing our receivers to run their routes, Cam was able to make plays.  Williams played fairly well, so did Oher. 

D-line -Starters didn't get get a whole lot of penetration early, but not having many of our star players in there surely played a role in that.  Horton was very quiet.  Addison didn't do as well as I thought he would considering what I've read about him in TC.  Now for Ealy, this dude might seriously be gone if that Cox guy continues to play like he did late in the game.  Need Cox to play earlier and see how he does against tougher competition.  Also, Steve Miller looked pretty good from what I saw.  Another guy to keep an eye on.  Kyle got some penetration earlier on as well.  I actually think he did better than Cole.

LB - Overall, they played well.  Mayo has some potential, but Glanton played the best, IMO.  Klein needs to be concerned.  Some tough competition at LB.

DB - Teddy didn't play very well, everyone else was fairly quiet.  Nobody really stood out or impressed me. 

Archived