• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Wegher to be featured on NFL Network's "Undrafted"

jdpanther5

It might not be the worst thing to lose him. He's got a bit of a history.... a little Greg Hardy-esque

Wegher was once a rising star in the Big Ten, but his path to the NFL has been riddled with stumbling blocks.

Wegher rushed for 641 yards as an Iowa freshman in 2009, including a school freshman record eight rushing touchdowns. During Iowa’s 24-14 win against Georgia Tech in the Orange Bowl, Wegher rushed for 113 yards and one touchdown.

But Wegher did not return to Iowa following his breakout freshman campaign. He left the team for what were deemed personal reasons and transferred to Oklahoma. He never played for coach Bob Stoops because he was ruled academically ineligible. He then had a stop at Iowa Western Community College in Council Bluffs.

Wegher wound up at NAIA Morningside College in Sioux City and helped lead the Mustangs to the NAIA championship series in 2013 and 2014. He set an NAIA record last year with 2,610 rushing yards, with an average of 200.8 yards per game. During his two years at Morningside, Wegher became the school’s all-time rushing leader with 3,815 yards and set a school record with 52 career touchdowns.

Aside from his academic issues, the 5-10, 213-pound Wegher was also held back by several run-ins with the law with arrests for eluding police, public intoxication, and domestic assault.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-05-09/former-iowa-rb-brandon-wegher-might-be-a-diamond-in-the-rough-for-panthers-morningside-naia

Wegher 2012  DV charge stemmed from a fight between him and his brother, he reportedly pushed him during the scuffle causing him to fall and hit his head on a table.

For those us that grew up with brothers close in age,we know that it's normal to wail on one another from time to time. I don't forsee it being an issue going forward.

I give two shits about a guy fighting his brother who is like 2 years younger than him

lol. My brother turned 50 last week, and I'll be 45 five next week, and we still come to blows every couple of years. It's usally over him thinking he knows it al,l and me knowing he doesn't. 

The story is much deeper and Wegher will probably never speak to the details.

He left school because he got his now fiance pregnant (also a young student athlete at the time) and had to be a man. He struggled between his dream and now family early on. He tried to come back to college football in Oklahoma, but could not distance himself from his kid and fiance. He went back to her and his son and supported his fiance's athletic career by being near them while she excelled in her athletic career. She graduated this past May from college. He did go back to school to play football and chose Morningside because it was right next door to the university his fiance was attending which allowed him to care for their son. He could have gone to a bigger school.

Now his fiance has put her athletic career on hold to give Wegher a chance at his dream while she stays with their son.

That is the story.

As for the domestic violence, that was him getting into it with his brother. 

His other charge was public intoxication years ago, and he did not elude police as that charge was dropped by the city.

He has always maintained the support of his coaches and teammates following his departure from Iowa.

That's hardly an excuse to lose him, especially if he's better than Todman. We all got skeletons in our closets. Furthermore, not every player with a troubled past ends up like Greg Hardy.

It's no secret that the Greg Hardy situation affected Big Cat. He's the ultimate judge of character for the Panthers organization. I'm not saying we shouldn't give the guy a chance... just making sure people here know the skeletons Wegner brings with him. I also think people might be putting a little too much stock on third string game film if they're now calling this guy a roster lock.

Archived