• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith's son thinks we should make a trade for a certain WR before the deadline

RelaxImaPro

Stop talking like the Panthers have a WR teams respect. Steve Smith injured is better than anything the Panthers have at WR.

If Cam and Olsen want him back, then do it. If either Cam or Olsen have their doubts, then nix it.

No matter what the Panthers need a WR going into the playoffs that a defense has to game plan for and respect.

One can only make judgments about another on the internet by what the other person types.  You typed, I judged, and I find you guilty. Guilty of being a disloyal piece of poo. End of story.  Good day to you too sir.

Panther fans stay loyal to the Panthers, not one player. Smitty is not greater than the team. It doesn't matter if Smitty is the greatest Panther to date (which he is), times have changed. 

Being emotional and loyal to a player and not the team is what got JStew, DeAngelo, CJ, Jake, and Beason all huge contracts that resulted in the long run a team that was $16 mil over the cap.

Gettleman made the decision to cut Smitty. Gettleman got this team under the cap. Gettleman drafted the NEW Carolina Panthers. Gettleman gave a squad that us 5-0 and back to back NFC South champs. Gettleman has us set up for continued, long term success. Those plans do not include Steve Smith.

The best thing you can do as a Steve Smith supporter is to hope Joe Flacco keeps looking his way and padding his stats. He'll need them to secure his spot in Canton.

I would be happy to see him brought back, but that said A couple of things stick out.  Smitty openly questioned the resolve of the panthers team last year (specifically questioning the leadership in the locker room) and I wonder if Cam, Kuechly, Kalil, and Davis would welcome him back with open arms, or if this would create some tension in a locker room right now that is in perfect sync.

On top of that, If I were one of the receivers on the roster, I'd take offense to this tweet.  Smitty is good, but our receivers HAVE stepped up when called upon this year, and the tweet seems to insinuate that they aren't even good enough as a group to compare to Steve Smith the individual.  I know the intent was tongue in cheek, but I do think some of these guys would take offense to this sentiment.

All in all, I'd honestly say, IMO, pass on Smitty.  I love the guy, but I don't want someone in our locker room who could cause a rift.  Our ceiling is too high this season to possibly screw it up with bad Chemistry.

I didn't realize that Steve already has 500+ yards on the season. Impressive for his age no doubt.

What's interesting to me though, is he is putting up these big numbers (150 yards in one game, 186 yards in another, and 137 yards in their most recent game) but the Ravens have lost all of those games. In fact, the only game the Ravens have won so far this year, Steve only put up 24 yards.

Obviously there are varying factors at work over there, the fact is though, forcing all of your offensive production to one player may show up great on the stat sheet, but that doesn't mean it's going to equate to actual wins. We have a great locker room right now, we have guys playing for each other. It's not about one player, or individual statistics, it's about winning, as a team.

As for all the pettiness. leave the past where it is. The back and forth arguments from all angles are just a waste of time.

It's important to note that this is a kid, who happens to be Smitty's son. A kid that is dreaming about Smitty's return to Carolina like many of you. It won't happen period, id like to see boldin though.

Some of the posts in this thread sound like they were written by kids as well.

The NFL is a business, and in the business of putting together the best team possible, chemistry matters.

It's not as simple as pulling together as many talented players as you can find. If it were, then 'dream teams' like the ones the Eagles and Dolphins have put together in prior years wouldn't have flopped so badly.

If you really think talent covers everything, then answer this: Why did guys like Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Percy Harvin keep getting dumped by their respective teams when they were putting up great numbers?

It's not Madden. In the real world, men not getting along causes problems. If the problems get big enough, the team is forced to deal with it.

Came up on NFLN, Newsome has told Steve they won't trade him to a contender and want him to come back for one more season.

Yep. And again, why should they?

Newsome addressing it directly does make me wonder if Smith may have floated a trial balloon himself behind the scenes.

Great post there Mr. Scot!

As much as I have enjoyed Steve Smith's career as a Panther fan, he time in Carolina is over for now.  I'm glad his son wants him to come back, but there's no way in hades he does.  The reality is that we let him go so Cam and the other team leaders could emerge, and they have.  Steve is a Hall of Fame player in my opinion, but he would not make us better right now.  The locker room would change, and it would also hurt the organization's credibility.  When 89 does decide to retire, then bring him back for a one day contract to retire as a Panther.

He's the best player in our current, short, history, and he deserves to retire as one of us.  BUT he doesn't need to come to play.  The biggest and best point is that Baltimore has lost all of his big games this season.  Sure, points can be made that he doesn't play defense or the rest of the team, but he's not helped them become a winner right now.  That's just the way it is.

I love what he brought to our team for so long, and I will always think he's one of the best players in the league over his career; but he's not right for us right now.

Archived