• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith's son thinks we should make a trade for a certain WR before the deadline

RelaxImaPro

Take a look at the history of players that have tried stuff like that.

Good teams rarely let players force their hand on decisions.

Who says he has to force their hands? He could just ask nicely and if Steve has a good relationship with Ozzie and Harbaugh which I have no reason to believe that he does not then there is at least a chance they would be willing to do him a favor.

are you familiar with teens or the internet?  I think it is a big reach to assume this is some elaborate plan orchestrated by Steve Smith to be acquired by the man he probably dislikes more than anyone in the NFL...

89 by all accounts appears to be a very hands on dad.....and now dad for the first time is states away.  Sure it gets old for his son this new window of his dad's career.  89 spits hot fire when it comes to Carolina.  Neither party IMO is interested.  

Heck, I'm sure 89's wife would love it too.  Doesn't mean Steve would want to come back to Dave and this FO.

Oh I'm sure he would love to have his dad at home all the time, but I also think that at some point there was a conversation between the two where the son said the Ravens are terrible this year and asked if he would come home to play with the Panthers for his final year and Steve said he would. I'd like to think Steve's son knows better than to put stuff out like this on twitter regarding his father's career given that if it was something Steve didn't want at all then it might upset him. Steve could have also have just been placating his son to not make him feel like there was no chance even if he doesn't want to play for the Panthers again. Steve could also be willing to put aside his issues with Dave and the FO to give it one more chance at a ring and to do his family a favor. This could all be a ploy by Steve to plant the seed in the Panthers and Ravens minds that he wants to come back to Carolina. I don't know which of those or if any of those are true, but I'm certain we can't rule any of them out as possibilities.

I still don't think it will happen and that the primary thing in the way of it happening is Gettleman, but I refuse to rule out the possibility it might.

Who says he has to force their hands? He could just ask nicely and if Steve has a good relationship with Ozzie and Harbaugh which I have no reason to believe that he does not then there is at least a chance they would be willing to do him a favor.

And what's in it for them?

A low round draft pick?  We're sure as heck not giving up a high pick for him.

They have him under contract.  There is zero incentive for them to let him out of it.

Said it earlier in the thread. Teams are not in the business of doing favors for other teams or helping players have a happy ending somewhere else.

The whole "trade him so he can get a ring" idea is pretty much a fanboy fantasy.

They have him under contract.  There is zero incentive for them to let him out of it.

Said it earlier in the thread. Teams are not in the business of doing favors for other teams or helping players have a happy ending somewhere else.

The whole "trade him so he can get a ring" idea is pretty much a fanboy fantasy.

A low round pick that their GM has a history of turning into very good players.

It's not release him so he can get a ring. They get something from it too. Mutually beneficial

A low round pick that their GM has a history of turning into very good players.

It's not release him so he can get a ring. They get something from it too. Mutually beneficial

Letting go of one of their only productive players at a position where they're already majorly thin is beneficial?

I think you and I have differing understandings of what that word means.

Dude, he's not notng back. You can come up with as many wishful scenarios as you want to, but here in the real world, there's no incentive for either team to make this trade.

The trade deadline is November 3rd. All indications are that as of November 4th, Steve Smith will still be playing for the Baltimore Ravens.

It's time to let it go.

Smitty is one of my favorite Panthers of all time, but we're 5-0 right now and seem to have great team chemistry.  It sure seems like locker room atmosphere and chemistry was the biggest reason why Gman parted with Smitty in the first place.  We're simply playing too well right now and have too much going for us to bring in a volatile personality like Smitty.  Also, if you guys will recall, Smitty wasn't Smitty his last season in Carolina.  At this point in his career he's no longer a #1.  When defenses were able to focus on him, he was pretty well locked down.  He's still a dangerous threat, but put him in this WR corps and he's nothing special because defenses would be keying on him.

If you truly believe we wouldn't be better with Smith then there's no point in discussing anything with you because you're an idiot.

lol someone disagrees with your opinion and they are automatically an idiot? That's a great way to have a dialogue among fans. 

Ozzie has said he isn't dealing 89

89 hates our FO

Our FO believed to get better meant 89 leaving 

....why is this a thread?

because if you aren't prepared to suck a dick to make this trade happen immediately then you aren't a really real life Panther fan. 

its never going to happen on this end bbut on their side its a no brainer. He's going to retire and they aren't going to the playoffs. Any draft pick is an incentive for them.

its never going to happen on this end bbut on their side its a no brainer. He's going to retire and they aren't going to the playoffs. Any draft pick is an incentive for them.

They haven't given up on the season yet, and I doubt they will have by November 3rd.

Throw in that we'd have to be pretty stupid to trade a pick for a guy who's only gonna play half a season.

Well, here's your final answer, Regis.

Steve Smith: "I'd quit if the Ravens traded me."

Responding to a report from Yahoo's Eric Edholm that a Smith trade is unlikely, Harbaugh stated unequivocally Friday that "there is no chance of that. I wouldn't part with him."

Smith has been informed by Ozzie Newsome that the general manager has no designs on dealing him ahead of the Nov. 3 trade deadline, per Edholm. That was apparently music to the ears of Smith, who said he would quit today if the Ravens traded him.

So If Smith says he'd rather quit than play for anyone but the Ravens, do people here still want him back? 

Archived