• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ginn's catch

ncmonzta

There was nothing wrong with the call. It's the rule that needs to be changed. If in the referees' judgment the pass catcher is in the process of going to the ground in the act of making the catch he must maintain possession through contact with the ground. That didn't happen here. An odd rule (as it demands subjectivity), but that's the NFL world we live in. 

This is what I keep seeing but it looks contradictory to the down by contact rule.

The receiver caught the ball 2 feet and a football move.  The defender takes the receiver to the ground and rips the ball out after the runner was down by contact.

Now if the receiver did NOT catch the ball and the ball does not touch the ground the defender has then "intercepted" the "pass".

Very odd circumstance.

I thought Ginn was down by contact.

So the defender can strip the ball from the receiver when his butt is down, and the ball's on his chest? However, if he falls face first with the ball underneath, then hit's the ground, it's a catch that's down by contact when the defender has no access (even if/when part of the ball touches the ground, or the receivers hands)? I thought Ginn had control as well.

If anything, it's a fumble (which I don't agree with either).

Weird!

Clearly down.

but if you fall to the ground and then the ball comes out....it isn't a catch.  If there was no defender around him and when he hits the ground the ball eventually slips out. It isn't s catch.  Only difference is the balls falls into a defenders lap

Apparently he never had control of the ball

For them to later on allow Chip challenge a ruling that no other team can challenge showed they were trying to make the game closer. Which I'm sorry, I dont understand it and won't accept it.

teams have challenged a ball being tipped before 

but if you fall to the ground and then the ball comes out....it isn't a catch.  If there was no defender around him and when he hits the ground the ball eventually slips out. It isn't s catch.  Only difference is the balls falls into a defenders lap

Yeah.  The thought occurred to me today re:  Peanut's "pick" in the preseason.

ur butt doesnt count atleast thats what collinsworth said

Any body part other than the hand counts as 2 feet.

The issue is for possession of the ball to be declared, the player must become a runner after securing the catch.

The NFL rule book states:

A player becomes a runner when he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent.

So, Ginn had to break the tackle or resist the defender taking him to the ground to become a runner. If the defender maintains contact with a receiver who is giving up and going to the ground while completing a catch, the defender has every opportunity to dislodge the ball until the official declares the play dead.

Defenders who are not trying to rip the ball out of a receivers hands during the process of the catch even when they are on the ground are not finishing the play.

teams have challenged a ball being tipped before 

Yea but I have never seen Refs throw a flag after. So a team can challenge a QB fumbling and the ref can come back and call holding on the line after the fact? or you can challenge a spot of the ball and the ref can come back and throw the flag for facemask? I thought thats why you could not challenge penalties because it would open up a can of worms like this. 

Yea but I have never seen Refs throw a flag after. So a team can challenge a QB fumbling and the ref can come back and call holding on the line after the fact? or you can challenge a spot of the ball and the ref can come back and throw the flag for facemask? I thought thats why you could not challenge penalties because it would open up a can of worms like this. 

flag was thrown live not after the review.  When the initial ruling was a tipped pass that forced the flag to be picked up.  When the challenge showed the ball wasn't tipped....everything that was called live comes back into play.

Through the catch... that means catching the ball, 2 feet down (or butt or shin or whatever) down to the ground and maintaining control until you stop sliding.  So if falling to the ground if you drop the ball it's an incomplete pass, then technically you can get picked. 

It's stupid rule. Stupid implementation, etc..

There was nothing wrong with the call. It's the rule that needs to be changed. If in the referees' judgment the pass catcher is in the process of going to the ground in the act of making the catch he must maintain possession through contact with the ground. That didn't happen here. An odd rule (as it demands subjectivity), but that's the NFL world we live in. 

Are you looking at the same picture?  The ball in against his stomach with both hands on the ball.  He ran 2 or three steps with the DB all over him.   His ass hit the ground.  PLAY OVER.  Not when the DB pulls the ball out of the receivers hands.

Terrible call. 

Archived