• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

More and new NFL pass catch terminology...

Darth Biscuit

So now "firm control" is also a standard of a completed catch...

Related to the "situation" with the catch hitting the ground the other night, this one was Sunday in the Sea vs Dal game...  

Darren McFadden catches the ball from Cassell, takes two steps and loses it... it's ruled a fumble on the field, but overturned as an incomplete pass via replay review.

Today Blandino says McFadden didn't "have firm control" of the ball...

Who knows what a catch is?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Did Whalen have "firm control" of the pass Monday night Mr. Blandino?

dalcat.0.gif

catchno.0.gif

The inconsistency with rules in general is just completely out of hand.

Makes no sense considering the revenue that the NFL makes, they can't get basic calls with all these broadcast angles correct.

But as long as the league is making record profits, and the bottom line isn't affected, there won't be any rush to fix this problem. Much like the Ray Rice fiasco, and how the league was perceived through their flawed, and inconsistent punishments for off the field incidents with players.

Dean doesn't even know what a catch is and neither does any one else. Ex players, current players, and refs are all confused.

I swear that Dean just spouts BS off anytime he has to get on air and explain one of these.

The Nfl rule for catches is so stupid and convoluted that it needs to be rewritten in a major way. 

Yeah it's just such complete BS... as I said in the other thread on the "ground catch" getting the call wrong on the field is one thing...  refs are human and play is fast... but ffs, if you freaking review it and STILL get it wrong.  Goddamn that ball hits the ground... no way around and he did not have control of it.  The ground helped him catch it and that should have been ruled incomplete.

Same with McFadden... he catches it, tucks it, takes two steps and loses it switching hands... that's a fuging fumble.

I'm convinced the NFL wants to make this rule so convoluted that nobody knows what is actually a catch.  That way, they can decide which teams to benefit during the game and say "it's all within the rules."   When the former head of officiating says the colts 4th down play isn't a catch, and the current VP of officiating goes on NFL network and says it is........I think it's obvious the refs want to grant the call however they see fit and be "covered" under the pretense that they are being fair and following the rules.   

In case you couldn't tell, I'm still pissed at the officiating of that game.  

I clearly remember several games where there was a 'catch' like this. The ruling was that the ground helped get control and it didn't count. But this one time...it didn't matter it hit the ground. Consistency is the problem. Interpretation of the rules as well, because these refs could have different interpretations of the same rule. The criteria is shot. 

I think I'm on the opposite end of some of you guys... I don't really believe that the NFL tries to "fix" games... although there is no arguing that it does benefit them to have close games that go down to the wire and esp into overtime...  frankly I just think it'd be too hard for them to hide something like that.

I think that it's just sheer incompetence and if there's any conspiracy it's trying to cover up their dumbassedness in these situations.

21 minutes ago, cgarsmoker said:

I'm convinced the NFL wants to make this rule so convoluted that nobody knows what is actually a catch.  That way, they can decide which teams to benefit during the game and say "it's all within the rules."   When the former head of officiating says the colts 4th down play isn't a catch, and the current VP of officiating goes on NFL network and says it is........I think it's obvious the refs want to grant the call however they see fit and be "covered" under the pretense that they are being fair and following the rules.   

In case you couldn't tell, I'm still pissed at the officiating of that game.  

This is exactly why.  Thy else would rules get MORE muddled every year instead of made more clear?  It's the only thing that makes sense.  Not to mention no consequences for bad calls.  People have to wake up.

20 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

I think I'm on the opposite end of some of you guys... I don't really believe that the NFL tries to "fix" games... although there is no arguing that it does benefit them to have close games that go down to the wire and esp into overtime...  frankly I just think it'd be too hard for them to hide something like that.

I think that it's just sheer incompetence and if there's any conspiracy it's trying to cover up their dumbassedness in these situations.

agree. i don't there's some grand conspiracy, but i also think the more subjective the call is the more room for error it allows referees to simply make judgement calls free of consequence.

i don't see how the league doesn't review that decision though. textbook trapping.

58 minutes ago, VerticalThreat said:

I was in the stadium and the replay feature isn't very good and they don't show it enough to see all of the "checkpoints" for a catch/non-catch. 

Same and I had no complaints at the time with them sticking with the call but now having seen the play I can't believe they ruled it a catch. It was pretty clear that ball was moving and he didn't have it secured in the slightest. 

Archived