• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Work Out Cortland Finnegan

Car123

I think people are too quick to assume we're doing this with a plan of signing him now.  It's possible.  However, I think it is more likely we're looking around to see what is out there in case we suffer an injury at corner in the playoffs.  Colin Jones has done an admirable job but he just isn't suited to play nickel corner, something Finnegan has excelled at before.  God forbid one of our top 3 corners gets hurt, I think Finnegan or someone like him would get a call because I don't think we'd trust sending Jones out on the field.

Plus, we very well could be seeing Arizona in the playoffs and John Brown (or Fitzgerald, who plays a lot of slot too) vs Colin Jones would be a serious mismatch.  So I think if anything this is a precautionary move, I don't think we're going to sign Finnegan now.  We already have 5 corners on the roster and there is no reason to let go of Williams or Jones.

1 minute ago, Khyber53 said:

Each of the teams ahead of us rely heavily on their passing. Extra nickel on the roster could help. Finnegan, though? His rep is so completely 180 degrees of our team...

is he really much different than Norman? Or 89?

He wore a Titan uniform and he wasn't as a good of a player as those two....but his nonsense is the same 

4 minutes ago, Mage said:

I think people are too quick to assume we're doing this with a plan of signing him now.  It's possible.  However, I think it is more likely we're looking around to see what is out there in case we suffer an injury at corner in the playoffs.  Colin Jones has done an admirable job but he just isn't suited to play nickel corner, something Finnegan has excelled at before.  God forbid one of our top 3 corners gets hurt, I think Finnegan or someone like him would get a call because I don't think we'd trust sending Jones out on the field.

Plus, we very well could be seeing Arizona in the playoffs and John Brown (or Fitzgerald, who plays a lot of slot too) vs Colin Jones would be a serious mismatch.  So I think if anything this is a precautionary move, I don't think we're going to sign Finnegan now.  We already have 5 corners on the roster and there is no reason to let go of Williams or Jones.

If AZ is healthy at WR come postseason time they will be a handful.

Can't just sign a guy the week prior and think he will be a huge help.  Peanut IMO will struggle to stay healthy for 9 more games....

18 minutes ago, JakeR6 said:

That locker room would keep him in line. And if not they'll just kick him to the curb. 

Low risk, high reward. 

There you go. Get with the Panther program or get out of town. If he's not a piece of the puzzle they'll toss him aside. 

22 minutes ago, CRA said:

At CB but Teddy is our best gunner.  Those ST jobs are very underrated and Ron finally acknowledged how just inserting random guys into ST instead of real special teammers is costly 

22 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Is Finnegan fast?  Williams has been doing a good job as gunner, but too many penalties.

We do have a  3 game "trial window" with a free roster spot while Horton is suspended... (assuming we release the emergency long snapper)

At the CB position. I never said cut Teddy.

3 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

Has he even played on a team this year? I haven't followed

He is old and has attitude.  Those aren't guys teams generally want unless their services are in need for a quick rental 

Archived