• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roman Harper: Why We’re Undefeated (A Must Read)

The Saltman

This article echoes so much of what we've seen this year. A symbiotic relationship between players, coaches, the front office and the owner. From top to bottom this team seems like very few elite units that I've had the absolute pleasure to work with.

And that "eliteness" feeds on itself. I'm not an elite soldier. Far from it. But when I was working with the best, I tried so hard not to disappoint them, if that makes sense. So much of what makes an elite unit successful is at play in this team.

And there isn't any one place to point as to why. It's all of it together. It's so special and my experience of it as a fan is also special. None of my family are Panther fans but they are football fans. But even my experience this year is different because of this board.

I can't explain correctly, I don't have the words, to explain what the Carolina Huddle or Roaring Riot means. The draft party with Josh. The work, drinking at a bar, I've put in to go from zero Panthers fans in Baltimore to an affiliate chapter of Charm City Riot. The undefeated team and the random guy at work who every time he sees me, smiles and comments about being undefeated. My smile back.

This team is special up and down the organization. And this fan base is special to me because my enjoyment of it has been on another level that I can't explain. I'm enjoying every minute of it. Truly.

This just shows how wrong we can be about a guy. He is a true team player and good person. Because he got in a scrum with 89, we all thought he was an ass....consider who the problem was with. Number 89 fought with everyone, so not suprising him and Harper had words.

Reading this makes me appreciate Dave Gettleman even more. What Roman describes starts at the top with the construction of coaches and players that work in harmony. Trust is what fuels this thought pattern. Trust players have for coaches and coaches in the players. In order to have trust, the personnel has to fit the "system".

Fans have called for the head of Rivera, Shula, and certain players, but Dave stayed the course he knew would work! No matter what, I will never question his decisions going forward, for he clearly has a better understanding of how to build a winning team than the fan base. I'm prepared for losing JNo being that he wants to get his(expected) and Dave is not gonna let him hold the salary cap hostage. I'm confident that Dave offers him a fair package, but if it doesn't fit going forward then it's next man up

This was awesome, I read it this morning and actually got a little misty eyed (like at the end of Rudy). When you read something like this from an "expert analyst" who spent the first 10 weeks of the season telling everyone why the Panthers aren't really any good, it kind of loses it meaning. However, when it comes from an 11 year guy with 2 pro bowls and a Superbowl under his belt, you know it's legit. I love the admiration he's passing around; Jared comes off like the most selfless player ever, and Luke comes off as an omniscient genius (fans already knew this about him). The part that I hadn't considered was that everyone realizes that, on another team, they wouldn't be as good (remember this come contract time Norman!!!, Cut G-Money a little slack). Cam is having his best season because the line has gelled, the picks are coming because of the pressure up front, Coleman is playing his best ball ever because EVERYONE is scared shitless to throw to Josh's side of the field. The ripple effect goes on and on.

7 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

Harper is a quality man. He's got his shortcomings on the football field, but he gives you everything he has. The Saints backfield really misses his leadership.

I think when he says that a lot of the players realize they wouldn't be this good on other teams, he's talking about himself first.  I think the way our defense is setup we kind of hide his weaknesses but allow his strengths to shine.  Every now and then he'll get stuck on a TE or something and get burned but overall he's been pretty good, especially this year.

Archived