• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Need some input from NC residents

KillaCamNewton

So Ill be flying into Charlotte from AZ on Friday the 15th for the divisional game. Since we arent playing on Saturday, my grandpa who lives in Chapel Hill invited me to go to the State and UNC game with him on Saturday. He's a bit too old to come and pick me up in Charlotte, so I either need to take the amtrak to Cary or rent a car. Im 22, and its more expensive to use Hertz when you're under 25. 

Has anyone taken the train from Charlotte to Cary? And would you recommend it? It's about $60 round trip but that sounds cheaper than renting a car.

Id also want to know what to expect traffic wise on Sunday morning coming from the triangle to Charlotte. My father and I used to make the trip every Sunday from Winston-Salem but I was too young to remember what traffic was like on gamedays. Would leaving Sunday morning be cutting it close for a 1pm game? Id also like to stop by the Huddle tailgate since Ive never been able to before. Is leaving Chapel Hill on Saturday night back to Charlotte and staying in a hotel the safer bet?

I appreciate any advice! Go Heels and Go Panthers!

I took a train in 08 from Raleigh to Disney world. 28 hour trip I think. Sucked. But the train was nice. Was comfortable for about half the ride. I'd say it's not bad for $60 roundtrip. Check bus rides to compare price and time expected. Amtrak should give you an ETA if you ask as well.

Come back to Charlotte Saturday night. Sunday in Charlotte on playoff Sunday? I live 25 minutes from the stadium. I'm leaving my place at 10:00 that morning to get there. If that gives you an idea.

Train is definitely the way to go once you add up the cost of the rental car, gas and the under 25 fee.  Trains can be delayed though, so I would definitely come back Saturday night.  If you do come back Sunday morning, take the earlier train you can and then Uber to the tailgate...it's but that far.

Another thing to consider is how much hotels in the center city will be that weekend.  Maybe a fellow huddler will offer you a place to stay.

12 minutes ago, Arroz con Panther said:

Train is definitely the way to go once you add up the cost of the rental car, gas and the under 25 fee.  Trains can be delayed though, so I would definitely come back Saturday night.  If you do come back Sunday morning, take the earlier train you can and then Uber to the tailgate...it's but that far.

Another thing to consider is how much hotels in the center city will be that weekend.  Maybe a fellow huddler will offer you a place to stay.

I booked a room at the Marriot in uptown a few weeks ago to be safe. Havent stayed there before but Im assuming its a quick walk to BOA. It looks like coming back to CLT Saturday night is the safest bet. A morning train getting delayed on Sunday morning would be a disaster. Thanks for the help!

If you have not booked the airline tickets yet, or you can change without penalty, I would recommend looking into a multi-city flight. Fly in to RDU Friday; leave RDU to CLT Saturday night; Fly out CLT back home. In most cases, it will add about $100 to your ticket.

The alternative is the tank of gas, rental car, and 5 to 6 hours road travel. Also, the cheaper option of 8-10 hours (w/o delays) of public transportation.

Look into the multi-city flight if possible.  Occasionally, all one-way ticket prices are better instead of booking multi-city ticket.

Whatever you decide, safe travels and enjoy the games.

I have driven from Winston to Charlotte on game days and traffic isn't to bad going to the stadium.  At least not until you get close.   Leaving is another matter altogether, but I suppose you aren't as concerned about that.  Coming back Saturday night though is definitely your best bet, as long as Amtrak has a train running late enough. 

My best friend uses the train to come down a good bit.

he lives in graham, just outside Chapel Hill.

hes had no problems and generally enjoys it.  Go with the train.

hes coming down for the game maybe you can hook up with him and we can all ride to the stadium together?  Just a thought.

8 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

So Ill be flying into Charlotte from AZ on Friday the 15th for the divisional game. Since we arent playing on Saturday, my grandpa who lives in Chapel Hill invited me to go to the State and UNC game with him on Saturday. He's a bit too old to come and pick me up in Charlotte, so I either need to take the amtrak to Cary or rent a car. Im 22, and its more expensive to use Hertz when you're under 25. 

Has anyone taken the train from Charlotte to Cary? And would you recommend it? It's about $60 round trip but that sounds cheaper than renting a car.

Id also want to know what to expect traffic wise on Sunday morning coming from the triangle to Charlotte. My father and I used to make the trip every Sunday from Winston-Salem but I was too young to remember what traffic was like on gamedays. Would leaving Sunday morning be cutting it close for a 1pm game? Id also like to stop by the Huddle tailgate since Ive never been able to before. Is leaving Chapel Hill on Saturday night back to Charlotte and staying in a hotel the safer bet?

I appreciate any advice! Go Heels and Go Panthers!

I will also be at the game on Saturday. I have to take my mom back to Winston after the game and then the plan is to head to Charlotte Saturday evening if me and my buddies can find a place to stay. So I could potentially get you from Chapel Hill to Charlotte on Saturday if the train doesn't work out.

Go Panthers, Go Heels, Go America

I live in the triangle and have made that drive several times.  The drive is not a problem unless you arrive too close to game time.  Leave around 7:00 and most lots will still be empty when you get there.

I have not taken the train but several of my friends do it regularly.  They enjoy not driving but for me, the hassle of getting rides to / from the stadium and having to be at the station by a certain time is not appealing.  We usually bring a lot of 'tailg8ing stuff' so driving works better.

You may want to stay in Charlotte Saturday night though.  Good chance there will be pep rallies or the Huddle / Roaring Riot will have a party. 

Archived