• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Alfred Morris? If Stew is gone...

cardiackat88.

1 minute ago, DelhommesTheMan said:

Why wouldn't they just offer Stewart an extension.  Bringing in Alfred Morris doesn't excite me, hes not on Jstew's level.  Extend him, and lower the cap hit this year and going forward.  He has a spot on this team no doubt...

He's 29 with 3 more years on his deal already. An extension with the goal of lowering the 2016 bill only kicks the can down the road. Sometimes its easier to take a shot to get the medicine all at one than take it twice per day for 10 days.

Stewart being a good back and Stewart having a good contract aren't mutually exclusive.  I think he's the best option at RB for next year, but I'm not sure hes the best option (contract considered) beyond that.

2 minutes ago, DelhommesTheMan said:

Why wouldn't they just offer Stewart an extension.  Bringing in Alfred Morris doesn't excite me, hes not on Jstew's level.  Extend him, and lower the cap hit this year and going forward.  He has a spot on this team no doubt...

He had 3 consecutive years of 1000+ yards rushing and managed 700+ while in a timeshare in an offense that didn't know how to run this past year. He has 1,000 fewer career yards rushed in 4 years than Stew does in 8.

I love stewie as much as the next guy, but you might be a homer there buddy.

11 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I don't think Morris would fall into the "bargain bin" category.

All RBs these days are bargain bin unless they are game breakers like Charles, AP, Gurley (in the future). Morris, compared to all other players will be relatively cheap.

However, I don't think we should spend cap money on another running back. They are easy enough to find in the draft (ask the Cards about their stud from Northern Iowa of all places). We have guys we need to save cap room for in Star, KK, Norman, Turner. Drafting a potential game changer at RB IMO should be a priority…not signing one. Stewart is a great mold for our offense because he is physical (when he is actually health). The problem is he gets hurt at the worst times. I truly believe that if we had a 100% healthy Jstew during that game we would have scored another TD and potentially put pressure on the Broncos at the end of the game. The problem was that he got injured because of how awkward he is when he gets hit…and how easily his feet are injured. 

Derrick Henry could easily be there at the end of the 2nd round. Big, strong, relatively fast, great at the goal line so we don't have to use Cam every time. I wouldn't be disappointed if he's the pick. 

21 minutes ago, emhoward said:

I perfer nto to go RB in FA, with or without Stew. If we lose Stew then it's time for CAP to step up.

If Artis Payne is our full time RB then we are in trouble. I think he is a flash guy…maybe a good player to spell a bigger RB. He's not a guy that I would want to lean on for an entire season. We have a very physical style of offense for whoever the running back is in our system. IDT CAP holds up an entire season. He's not shifty enough like a Leveon Bell or even Deangelo to avoid hits. But he's still roughly their size. That's not a good combination. 

I'm not as sure about him returning as most of you guys. He has averaged playing in 10.5 games over the past 4 seasons. He'll be 29 when next season starts, does anyone think his injury issues are going to get better with age? I think even saving $2.2 million is significant. Stewart was 27th in the league in yards per attempt. If they think bringing him back is best, fine. I'm not sure that's the case though. I find it hard to believe they kept Wegher on the 53 man roster all year, if they thought Stewart was coming back.

1 minute ago, unicar15 said:

If Artis Payne is our full time RB then we are in trouble. I think he is a flash guy…maybe a good player to spell a bigger RB. He's not a guy that I would want to lean on for an entire season. We have a very physical style of offense for whoever the running back is in our system. IDT CAP holds up an entire season. He's not shifty enough like a Leveon Bell or even Deangelo to avoid hits. But he's still roughly their size. That's not a good combination. 

This exactly. Little difference between him, fozzy, and Wegher IMO.

if he was that good, he would have been splitting snaps with stew.

29 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

Fair enough, and you're probably right, but he's impressed me anytime I saw him. He was the only one that played well at Atlanta.

You're right about his physicality, or lack of it, but he does have something that, imo, Stewart never had, and that's elite vision, if theirs a hole, he'll find it, while Stewart will just try and run over someone. 

I guess we'll see though.

The big gamble with Stew will always be his health.  I love the guy, and think he may have played himself into staying with the team...but I won't be shocked if he's a June 1st cut. 

As for Morris, it could work. He's the new bruiser, CAP gets used as the shiftier option.  And since it does matter to the organization, Morris is supposedly a great guy. 

I don't think Stew is going anywhere.  Somehow, someway, he'll be a panther.  He put up 1,000 yards a our featured back, missing 2 games.  Our backups can't do what he does, atleast not yet.  Plus, Stew is a big part of what makes this team a team, you don't want to screw around too much with that, especially with what we have going on now. 

3 hours ago, Cracka McNasty said:

He had 3 consecutive years of 1000+ yards rushing and managed 700+ while in a timeshare in an offense that didn't know how to run this past year. He has 1,000 fewer career yards rushed in 4 years than Stew does in 8.

I love stewie as much as the next guy, but you might be a homer there buddy.

I'm a homer because i think Alfred Morris isn't on the same level as JStew?  Not really, i think Alfred Morris isnt on the same level as Jstew because he simply isn't.  Stewart was on pace for 1,219 yards and 8 TDs before his injury and subsequent "resting" by the Panthers.  Alfred Morris has worn out his welcome in Washington, is a two down back and wont be re-signed due to lack of productivity according to there front office.  Morris averaged 1.45 yards after contact, shoe string doesn't even begin to describe what he is. He cant catch to save his life, and Morris is also a terrible blocker, which does not work in any offense let alone ours. Make no mistake about it, there no homerism involved, you can pull up Morris's past numbers which have steadily declined since he was a rookie product of Shanahans zone blocking scheme, but Stew is just a flat out better than Morris in every way.   

Archived