• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

13 million under cap after Norman?

Jmac

3 minutes ago, Jmac said:

That is what I have been reading (this is before they figure out what to do with C.J). Money is in your hands....how would you spend or not spend it?

Sign Coples for the cheap, sign Mario Williams for 5-7 Mill for two years, release CJ, sign Toldozer for 2-3 more years, and maybe a tackle to push Oher on the left side, like Williams will push Remmers.  Save the rest for the draft, and if injuries occur during the off season/regular season.  

8 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Sign Coples for the cheap, sign Mario Williams for 5-7 Mill for two years, release CJ, sign Toldozer for 2-3 more years, and maybe a tackle to push Oher on the left side, like Williams will push Remmers.  Save the rest for the draft, and if injuries occur during the off season/regular season.  

Word has it Coples left without a contract....which is not promising.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

Can they get offered one yet, I thought they had to wait until March 7?

I believe he and other players released by a team can be signed now because he's no longer under contract to any team.  We did the same last year with Ginn & Oher, I think.

3 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I believe he and other players released by a team can be signed now because he's no longer under contract to any team.  We did the same last year with Ginn & Oher, I think.

Thanks for the info. Then come on down Mario

They have to allocate 5-6 million for the rookie class I believe.  So you're looking at 7-8 million to spend. This is before any thing done with CJ.  If CJ takes less money this number could fluctuate higher. 

What I'd like to see is depth in the D line and secondary. And one free agent wide out with great hands. We need a sure handed wide out. I'll like to see Short locked up now. 

Question:  What cap implications are there to locking up a contract with Short this offseason?  I've still not really done research to understand how NFL contracts work. 

Given that Short still has one more year under contract, if he were to sign an extension for a pretty major contract (10 mil+ per year) now, is it possible to defer that cap hit until 2017, or does that money need to be available in our cap for this season?

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Question:  What cap implications are there to locking up a contract with Short this offseason?  I've still not really done research to understand how NFL contracts work. 

Given that Short still has one more year under contract, if he were to sign an extension for a pretty major contract (10 mil+ per year) now, is it possible to defer that cap hit until 2017, or does that money need to be available in our cap for this season?

You could defer the salary until later seasons, but the bonus is spread out evenly over the length of the contract. So if he gets a significant signing bonus, it would affect this year's cap.

45 minutes ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

They have to allocate 5-6 million for the rookie class I believe.  So you're looking at 7-8 million to spend. This is before any thing done with CJ.  If CJ takes less money this number could fluctuate higher. 

What I'd like to see is depth in the D line and secondary. And one free agent wide out with great hands. We need a sure handed wide out. I'll like to see Short locked up now. 

Also, Gettleman usually keeps about $5 million for emergency signings in training camp.

2 hours ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

Only need about $2M in cap room to sign the rookie class due to how the top 51 rule works. Being at the end of the 1st makes that very manageable.

Archived